Time to make all electronics part of the performance?

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was going to go but got called in to work because scheduled guy didn’t show up (guess where he was).

Ps - Steve and Gary; scumbag wormy; idiots. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not want to minimize your point, because I agree.  After all, this is a youth activity claiming to be of educational value.  All the poppycock about amplification/electronics being "necessary" in this activity to achieve "relevance" in the greater world of modern music would make more sense if corps members were actually learning to implement the technology in real-time performance situations.  We do not allow adult staff to perform the trumpet high notes, snare features, solo dancer roles, or anything else in the performance... except the sound board.  Curious.

However, I have to ask two questions.

1.  How does your suggestion change your Skywalker Sound hypothetical, aside from who touches the board during the contest?

2.  When a corps is on the field, and their electronics are dead on arrival, are we all willing to put corps members on the spot to either troubleshoot the problem successfully, or perform without A&E... and to make those calls as lateness penalties accrue in real-time?  (Or alternately, are we all willing to waive penalties and push other corps off schedule in order to provide unlimited setup time?)

Iirc, at one time soundboard operators had to be members.  I don’t recall the exact reason they shifted to non-member. Perhaps it is time to revisit this.  We’ve seen Corps advertising for metronome operators; so why not do same for soundboard?   May be a way for a youth to get involved in the soundboard industry (or whatever it is called).   Of course, Corps will then need to add a Soundboard Caption Head, a Soundboard Instructor, & several Soundboard Techs.  

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Iirc, at one time soundboard operators had to be members.  I don’t recall the exact reason they shifted to non-member. Perhaps it is time to revisit this.  We’ve seen Corps advertising for metronome operators; so why not do same for soundboard?   May be a way for a youth to get involved in the soundboard industry (or whatever it is called).   Of course, Corps will then need to add a Soundboard Caption Head, a Soundboard Instructor, & several Soundboard Techs.  

The sound boards were in the pit. The least ideal place to mix the sound. 

unless you’re going to charge member fees to someone to do the adjustments I’m not inclined to force the issue. Sound board operators don’t trigger effects or samples. Performers in the pit do. Board operators adjust blend and balance and troubleshoot issues if they see for example a mic getting too hot. 

live the blend has improved Depending on where your seats are. On the live feeds the issue is most often because Flos crew of the day doesn’t truly get mic placement 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Maybe you are recalling one of the few corps who once-upon-a-time placed a sound board in the pit area or on the field.  In those cases, it must be operated by a performer because staff are generally not allowed on the field to assist during competitive performances.

Other than that, DCI has never had a requirement for the mixing board to be operated by a corps member.

6 hours ago, grimmo said:

To use an exaggeration to make the point. Imagine a corps is needing a bump in musical effect and so they throw a ton of cash to hire Ben Burtt and a crew from  Skywalker Sound. The crew bring an amazing palette of cutting edge electronic sound support, and audio-based 'smoke and mirrors'  as hoped. This, together with the presence of a couple of Academy award winning engineers on the sideline, and a world class proprietary speaker setup, all has a positive influence on how things are received by the judging community. The corps receive the bump they hoped for and more. A new standard is then set to which others then aspire.

For me, this is the downside of competition. As much as I'm all about the "keepin' up with the Jonz" vibe for funsies, I don't honestly think every drumline should meticulously replicate what works for the (wealthier) champs.

And I still hold faith that analog corps sound can move me AND compete with digitized sound. This is coming from someone who loves a sound designer too, so I swoon when corps sculpt sound spaces into their shows well.

But a solid sound designer should want to balance and support the sounds of the show, not over power it.

Strange to have marched right as they introduced amping and return to the industry to find it's still ruffling feathers. I get it.

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

For me, this is the downside of competition. As much as I'm all about the "keepin' up with the Jonz" vibe for funsies, I don't honestly think every drumline should meticulously replicate what works for the (wealthier) champs.

And I still hold faith that analog corps sound can move me AND compete with digitized sound. This is coming from someone who loves a sound designer too, so I swoon when corps sculpt sound spaces into their shows well.

But a solid sound designer should want to balance and support the sounds of the show, not over power it.

Strange to have marched right as they introduced amping and return to the industry to find it's still ruffling feathers. I get it.

People are still #####ing about Bb brass, the pit, body…. So no surprise. Imo it’s because it’s the least understood part of design 

• Like 1