Queen Elizabeth II Funeral Pomp & Circumstance

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes, but the roots are from the British in the colonial era.  But they have taken it in a unique direction.

(not advocating for colonialism, just pointing out that current behavior is in part a sum of historical experience)

Indeed. The border itself is rooted in colonialism, no? I just happen to be more intrigued by the offshoots and variations of ceremonialized colonialism than how it's maintained.

With that, I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself and excuse myself from the thread.

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

"...NOTHING to do woth them being of mixed race and everything to do with the George V Conventions."

C,

Can you elaborate a bit?

Cheers.

F

I believe it is because Harry’s kids have now been elevated from great-grandchildren of the last monarch to grandchildren of the new monarch. Williams’ children were greats, also, but also children of the future king, so they are treated differently. 

• Like 1

My daughter lives in London, Greenwich to be more precise.

She came home to visit us a few weeks back, and flies back tomorrow.

When she came here it was Queen Elizabeth and PM Boris Johnson, 

She flies home to King Charles and PM Liz Truss.

I think it is her fault.    😃

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

I believe it is because Harry’s kids have now been elevated from great-grandchildren of the last monarch to grandchildren of the new monarch. Williams’ children were greats, also, but also children of the future king, so they are treated differently. 

I see. It's the application of the Medieval right of primogeniture, wherein all titles pass to the eldest son. The only way Harry's offspring get into the line of succession is if William's  sons die without male heirs.

In theory, this eliminates the female line altogether, but English history has often taken a different view, witness the 2 "Elizabethan Ages", the first under Henry VIII's daughter and the second, concluded mere hours ago.

As for the accompanying pageantry, don't touch that remote.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I see. It's the application of the Medieval right of primogeniture, wherein all titles pass to the eldest son. The only way Harry's offspring get into the line of succession is if William's  sons die without male heirs.

In theory, this eliminates the female line altogether, but English history has often taken a different view, witness the 2 "Elizabethan Ages", the first under Henry VIII's daughter and the second, concluded mere hours ago.

As for the accompanying pageantry, don't touch that remote.

primogeniture was done away with shortly before the birth of Charlotte, who is now 3rd in line, behind George, but ahead of Louis. 

• Thanks 2

The British didn't invent pageantry and pomp, but they sure perfected it.  I'll be glued to the T.V. for the state funeral Monday 09/19.

Play along with me and count the number of British uniforms you see that Drum Corps emulated over the years.  

Edited by greg_orangecounty

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The British didn't invent pageantry and pomp, but they sure perfected it.  I'll be glued to the T.V. for the state funeral Monday.

Play along with me and count the number of British uniforms you see that Drum Corps emulated over the years.  

Funeral is monday the 19th. Not this monday. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

My daughter lives in London, Greenwich to be more precise.

She came home to visit us a few weeks back, and flies back tomorrow.

When she came here it was Queen Elizabeth and PM Boris Johnson, 

She flies home to King Charles and PM Liz Truss.

I think it is her fault.    😃

Mid 1980s sister was in a High School music group that toured Europe. When they got to London she begged out of the groups sight seeing tour as we have family there. Director not happy “you’ll miss the sights “. Sis was “haven’t seen my family in years”. Director grudgingly approves.

So sis and cousin walking and see group looking down the road. Turn out Prince Charles limo was headed that way. So they wait and the limo gets caught in traffic near them and guess who gets out to look things over. 😱 Sis got a nice side pic of the new king… Hope she can find it.

And couldn’t wait for tour director to ask if they saw anything interesting. 😈😈😈😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DWW11 said:

primogeniture was done away with shortly before the birth of Charlotte, who is now 3rd in line, behind George, but ahead of Louis. 

Surely it was a lot earlier than that, no? England has had a goodly number queens during the past several hundred years, eh, wot?

Here in the colonies we have yet to inaugurate a woman as president, and we think of ourselves as so (pardon the expression) bloody progressive.

5 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Surely it was a lot earlier than that, no? England has had a goodly number queens during the past several hundred years, eh, wot?

Here in the colonies we have yet to inaugurate a woman as president, and we think of ourselves as so (pardon the expression) bloody progressive.

It was only months before Charlotte was born. Queens, before then, were the heirs to a throne with no male children. And Elizabeth only became Queen because her uncle abdicated his crown, and it passed to Elizabeth’s father. She was never expected to rule when she was born. 

• Like 2