RIP Tom Float

4 hours ago, Metalbinky said:

RIP Tom.  I remember my high school snare line trying to learn BDs 1986 percussion feature"Paradox" for fun.   I'm pretty sure Tom arranged that.   It was to our amazement that a few years later he was our percussion caption head, being brought over by one of VKs snareline members who had recently graduated from high school.  He was one of the greats from my era.

Paradox was 82-83.  86 wasn't a separate feature, but part of Channel One Suite.  All were arranged by Tom (although the 86 feature was heavily influenced by the 76 version, which predated him)

It's impossible to overstate the influence he had on the art form, in both the literature and the physical approach to the instruments. His personality was pure icing on the cake. Such a huge loss.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

It's impossible to overstate the influence he had on he art form, in both the literature and the physical approaches to the instruments. His personality was pure icing on the cake. Such a huge loss.

This. What a wonderful man. He actually invited our little 4-man snare line to rehearse with the Crusaders one time where we were staying at the same school. It was a highlight of my corps career. I learned more in those 30 minutes than I had all season. God Bless Tom and his family. 

• Like 1

I had been watching Catherine's FB page for a couple of weeks.  Tom Float was a drum corps legend & has influenced thousands of students through the decades.  I was influenced through some of his students.  What I remember from his clinics was his kindness & sense of humor.    

I imagine he's teamed up with Jim Ott working on some new 'heavenly' arrangements.  Someone stated "there's no clean like Float clean".  How appropriate. 

Godspeed Tom; praying for Catherine, family, & all of his friends during this difficult time.

May be an image of 1 person and standing  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I had been watching Catherine's FB page for a couple of weeks.  Tom Float was a drum corps legend & has influenced thousands of students through the decades.  I was influenced through some of his students.  What I remember from his clinics was his kindness & sense of humor.    

I imagine he's teamed up with Jim Ott working on some new 'heavenly' arrangements.  Someone stated "there's no clean like Float clean".  How appropriate. 

Godspeed Tom; praying for Catherine, family, & all of his friends during this difficult time.

May be an image of 1 person and standing  

Remember those shorts he'd wear in the 70s? He had that classic 70s look. Short shorts and the high tube socks with stripes. And that hair, oh my. 😄

• Like 3