RIP Tom Float

Vic Firth 

· 
On Monday, October 3rd, the world lost a true legend in the percussion community with the passing of Tom Float. Float's legendary accomplishments in the Drum Corps activity include standard setting percussion sections at the Blue Devils, as well as Spirit of Atlanta and The Velvet Knights. A pioneer in his craft, Float modernized the approach to marching percussion that the world enjoys to this day.
Float continued his work in film, television, and theme park entertainment. His work can be seen on display to this day at theme parks around the world, including Disney and Universal Studios.
Tom's true gift was caring for others. He created opportunity for musicians all over the world, working hard to make sure those around his were well cared-for. His sense of humor and knack for storytelling will be remembered fondly by those who encountered him, but his heart for others is what truly set him apart. He will be sorely missed.
Rest in Peace, Float. Your legacy will set standards, much like you did.
  • Like 3

We are deeply saddened by the passing of Tom Float on Monday, October 3, legendary marching percussionist and member of our TAMA family. Having worked closely for 10 years prior as a special advisor to Mr. Ken Hoshino and our Research & Development team, Tom was instrumental in the 2011 launch of TAMA Marching Percussion Drums. Tom continued to contribute to TAMA’s strategy and continued growth. He was a master of Marching Drums, influencing generations of percussionists through his work with Spirit of Atlanta and the Concord Blue Devils, and was a member of the Drum Corps International Hall of Fame. Because of his deep knowledge of drumming and vast reputation, Tom introduced TAMA to many key artists, directors and ensembles in the industry including TAMA artists Roger Carter, Dan Wahl and his beloved wife Catherine Float, also well-respected instructor and percussionist. Tom was a legend in the percussion industry. He was passionate about drumming and even more generous with his willingness to share his knowledge with colleagues, students and percussionists world-wide. He had a wit and kindness and a huge heart for teaching and was always approachable, regardless of who you were.
Tom will be sorely missed by all of us at TAMA worldwide.
  • Like 2

Sad to hear this. R.I.P. Tom. Those percussion lines will not be forgotten and neither will you. 

• Like 1

I usually just post some ....'s. But this one...I just don't know what to say. 

On 10/5/2022 at 5:12 AM, 84BDsop said:

Paradox was 82-83.  86 wasn't a separate feature, but part of Channel One Suite.  All were arranged by Tom (although the 86 feature was heavily influenced by the 76 version, which predated him)

I have the sheets for 82' but not 83' which was slightly different. 86' was a fun solo (especially the North Drum Tri-Toms.) I believe Leif Marwede won I&E on multi-tenors that year. He was our caption head over at Corpsvets in '05. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

• 4 months later...
56 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Tama booth at the Texas Music Educators Association Convention:  ❤️

Remembering a legend at TMEA 2023. #tmea2023 #tomfloat #tamamarching
May be an image of 5 people, indoor and text that says 'In memory of a true percussion legend TOM FLOAT 1952-2022 NTAMA music TOGETHer AM We re forever grateful for his passionate contril contributions and commitment the development and success of AMA Marching Percussion. иTama BERGERAULT'

Still can't believe it  😢

• Sad 1