Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think this is more of a chicken and an egg thing. What comes first, building a comprehensive fund raising network, or beefing up the design and instructional team? Which came first with Boston?

The fundraising for Boston to which you're referring started in earnest sometime around 2014.  For the record, I personally can claim no credit whatsoever for this effort, but I was a witness to it.  I was at Gillette Stadium in 2015 for the 75th Anniversary Show (if you recall, BAC flew BD in for that show).  It was that night that BOD member Michael Woodall announced that henceforth BAC would stand for "Building A Champion", and that there was a multi-year plan to get the corps into the top 3 and eventually win.  Lots of people here on DCP snickered about that....but 13 months later Boston hired the staff they have to this day.  So, the money definitely came first, and contrary to urban myth, there was never one  millionaire who just dumped money in.  It was a FIFTY member BOD working with dozens of corporate sponsors in the City of Boston.   I recall seeing Putnam Investments, State Street Bank, John Hancock Investments,  Baybank, and about 25 others.  BAC did not have either a bingo or a band circuit as part of this effort.  Sorry for the long answer to your short question. 

Edited by craiga
Grammar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, craiga said:

I was at Gillette Stadium in 2015 for the 75th Anniversary Show (if you recall, BAC flew BD in for that show).  

The grapevine told me they were flown out for the Tanglewood concert.  Sorry if I'm nitpicking.

7 minutes ago, TOC said:

The grapevine told me they were flown out for the Tanglewood concert.  Sorry if I'm nitpicking.

The grapevine was not correct.  While they did join BAC for the Tanglewood event, the main reason why they flew out was to take part in Boston's 75th Aniversary show at Gillette.  The thinking was that their inclusion in the lineup would obviously increase the gate in a huge way, offsetting the staggering cost to rent the stadium.  And... It worked.  Tanglewood was icing on the cake.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think this is more of a chicken and an egg thing. What comes first, building a comprehensive fund raising network, or beefing up the design and instructional team? Which came first with Boston?

As someone who has tracked this issue over the eons, trust me it’s not chicken and egg situation. Having watched the financial machinations over the years, this board has got it’s stuff together and they are more proactive rather than reactive….and to this I say kudos. They are aware of the financial responsibilities of fielding of a “competitive” unit and they are taking the appropriate steps to be viable in the years to come.

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Counterpoint:  Diversifying fundraising to dig deeper in the name of competitive momentum further fuels the arms race that will pressure other corps to make moves that may be missteps that endanger them and put those who have diversified 'one bad financial year' from those pushed to the brink as well.  

It's a vicious cycle

Yes it is a vicious cycle, but what do you think will improve the situation?

1 hour ago, craiga said:

The fundraising for Boston to which you're referring started in earnest sometime around 2014.  For the record, I personally can claim no credit whatsoever for this effort, but I was a witness to it.  I was at Gillette Stadium in 2015 for the 75th Anniversary Show (if you recall, BAC flew BD in for that show).  It was that night that BOD member Michael Woodall announced that henceforth BAC would stand for "Building A Champion", and that there was a multi-year plan to get the corps into the top 3 and eventually win.  Lots of people here on DCP snickered about that....but 13 months later Boston hired the staff they have to this day.  So, the money definitely came first, and contrary to urban myth, there was never one  millionaire who just dumped money in.  It was a FIFTY member BOD working with dozens of corporate sponsors in the City of Boston.   I recall seeing Putnam Investments, State Street Bank, John Hancock Investments,  Baybank, and about 25 others.  BAC did not have either a bingo or a band circuit as part of this effort.  Sorry for the long answer to your short question. 

This is a exactly what I am trying to say. If you want to keep up with Joneses, then figure out how to afford it first and then actually go out and raise the money. Get the money in the bank, then hire away!  Don’t put your trust on a wish and a promise. Not getting the money first is how corps fold, err, go on hiatus. 

And that’s what Boston did. Money first then hires. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Get the money in the bank, then hire away!   And that’s what Boston did. Money first then hires. 

Did they actually approach and hire the new staff post 17 finals, or where they already working behind the scenes before finals?

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

All I have to go on PRs intentions is what you posted. 

Problem is I can’t tell if “in line with other corps” means they think they are trying to keep up with the Jones’ (other corps) or they think it’s a good phrase to get people to open their wallets. (One of my college Alma maters comes up with some “keeping up with changes” when fundraising. And in reality they are hurting financially but don’t want to say it)

If trying to keep up with other corps I’d suggest looking internally.

I think they are trying to “survive and thrive”  which involves a combination of fan/alumni  and corporate support. Not necessarily keeping up with the Joneses just playing with the demands of drum corps at it’s present state.

3 minutes ago, TOC said:

Did they actually approach and hire the new staff post 17 finals, or where they already working behind the scenes before finals?

I’ll toss this over to @craiga

6 minutes ago, TOC said:

I wasn't in that loop....sorry.