Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Given today’s pressure on producing a top contender, I don’t buy, sorry for the pun, that BAC had all the financing in the bank before  challenging the elite at DCI.

again, the plan started was announced in 2014/15. given the size and diversity of backgrounds and connections on Bostons board, i'm not surprised in 2 years they had enough to start the process.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, craiga said:

The fundraising for Boston to which you're referring started in earnest sometime around 2014.  For the record, I personally can claim no credit whatsoever for this effort, but I was a witness to it.  I was at Gillette Stadium in 2015 for the 75th Anniversary Show (if you recall, BAC flew BD in for that show).  It was that night that BOD member Michael Woodall announced that henceforth BAC would stand for "Building A Champion", and that there was a multi-year plan to get the corps into the top 3 and eventually win.  Lots of people here on DCP snickered about that....but 13 months later Boston hired the staff they have to this day.  So, the money definitely came first, and contrary to urban myth, there was never one  millionaire who just dumped money in.  It was a FIFTY member BOD working with dozens of corporate sponsors in the City of Boston.   I recall seeing Putnam Investments, State Street Bank, John Hancock Investments,  Baybank, and about 25 others.  BAC did not have either a bingo or a band circuit as part of this effort.  Sorry for the long answer to your short question. 

Who would’ve thought there could’ve been money for the arts in one of the major cities that make up the northeast megalopolis, who would’ve thought?🙃

Of course I say that with sarcasm, as merely an outside spectator to the growth of the org, it only seemed natural to me that BAC would be in prime position to capitalize(if they were smart, which as we see now, they were), being in probably THE region that has dense concentrations of premier higher Ed institutions and premier music institutions to boot. Along with having a lot of organized and corporate wealth that could be tapped into, I don’t know what those skeptics back in that time were thinking that BAC couldn’t get a slice of that and that it wouldn’t ultimately assist them in their ascension, at least to me on the outside looking in now having the benefit of hindsight, I would’ve thought the same in 2014/15 as a 15 year old to be fair haha

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Who would’ve thought there could’ve been money for the arts in one of the major cities that make up the northeast megalopolis, who would’ve thought?🙃

Of course I say that with sarcasm, as merely an outside spectator to the growth of the org, it only seemed natural to me that BAC would be in prime position to capitalize(if they were smart, which as we see now, they were), being in probably THE region that has dense concentrations of premier higher Ed institutions and premier music institutions to boot. Along with having a lot of organized and corporate wealth that could be tapped into, I don’t know what those skeptics back in that time were thinking that BAC couldn’t get a slice of that and that it wouldn’t ultimately assist them in their ascension, at least to me on the outside looking in now having the benefit of hindsight, I would’ve thought the same in 2014/15 as a 15 year old to be fair haha

I agree, but lest we forget, in 2010 the G7 conspiracy explicitly EXCLUDED the Boston Crusaders as an organization that was not one of  "the elite".  Also, we should remember than during the 1980s, there were FOUR  other World Class corps from the same metropolitan area (Boston and its suburbs) who folded, so merely being from that area alone wasn't enough.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Yes it is a vicious cycle, but what do you think will improve the situation?

There is only one thing that can improve that situation... the central rulemaking agency reducing the cost of "playing the game" for all corps.

Any amateur competitive activity can become an arms race, where the more ambitious competitors leverage charitable income to try and gain a competitive edge.  Therefore, any amateur competitive activity with smart people in charge will do something to ensure that the contest is won by superior skill, not just superior financing.

This activity has been an arms race since the 1920s.  Back then, though, it was just about uniforms and travel.  (Yes, uniforms were actually a caption in some contests, and their condition was a source of such scrutiny during inspections that you could lose a contest before playing the first note.)  We kept equipment costs under control for decades, and had hundreds upon hundreds of corps for decades. 

Unfortunately, two of the reasons DCI was created were to increase costs - increased travel through touring, and increased equipment costs through rule changes.  It should be no surprise to see that not every corps can keep up with the cost forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I was going to say 1983... but this question has more than one correct answer.

You could say 1983, as BAC had to effectively restart the corps after the debacle 1982 was.  But in fairness, the goal of 83 was to show Boston was still alive (as Boston) and was to stay alive to be out again in 84, then 85, then the next big step was re-establishing the Boston  Crusaders. Then there were a number of years of ups and downs, management changes.  It took one step forward after another step forward until the point the current foundation was achieved. That’s around 2013.   It was many years of building a solid base of reliable support with a commitment made to building a strong organization with foresight and long term sustainability.  It requires discipline to stay on the path. There were many examples of what not to do as we have all seen. A primary need is to get money, hold onto money…build the bank.  Spend wisely, with discipline, and plan, plan, plan, and run the corps business,  like a business.

Diversify your revenue stream/portfolio.  Expand you org oversight team with many backgrounds that can contribute to your mission directly, with knowledge and experience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

And your recommendation to change this arms race? Relying on your memory of the nuclear arms race…. We’re not that different in age.

Something like the ‘Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty’ (SALT)  First one limited US/USSR to 2,400 missiles/bombers. 

DrumCorps Reduction of Instruments Treaty (DIRT) - limit pit to 24 marimbas/vibes, & contra lines to 24.  (yes I know no one has that many, but (like SALT) it really doesn’t change things.  2,400 nukes is still way too many nukes.  Just makes DCI look like they are doing something.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, craiga said:

Also, we should remember than during the 1980s, there were FOUR  other World Class corps from the same metropolitan area (Boston and its suburbs) who folded, so merely being from that area alone wasn't enough.

27, North Star, ?,?  Brain isn’t working for last 2

16 hours ago, ZTWright said:

Let's be honest, anything any corps does after the SCV announcement is going to spell doom if you ask the people of this forum. 🤷

Well considering DCIs history of learning from the past…. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

again, the plan started was announced in 2014/15. given the size and diversity of backgrounds and connections on Bostons board, i'm not surprised in 2 years they had enough to start the process.

It's been posted here before that in just the Concert in The Park alone, they bring in over $500K.