Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Other than breath control and ensemble playing, what can you use those other skills for outside of DC/MB 

signed) guy with an Computer Science (now called IT) degree 

teaching the next generation to do it when you become a teacher 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

as stated here and on Tim Hintons podcast, member fees don't even make up 50% of the total cost.

All that proves is that you and Tim Hinton, like Slingerland, are focusing on the top corps and not considering how the rest of them operate - dare I say, the majority of them.  (Although at this rate, it might not be the majority for much longer... )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Colorguards, winterguards and drum corps have never really settled which they want to be. Guess I've always naively hoped and assumed they were the latter.

On paper they are one thing, in actuality they are another.   However, the further down the line you go, you replace teaching the show, with teaching of fundamentals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

All that proves is that you and Tim Hinton, like Slingerland, are focusing on the top corps and not considering how the rest of them operate - dare I say, the majority of them.  (Although at this rate, it might not be the majority for much longer... )

Open Class is nearly 90% member due driven, hence its volatility.  And then the board has to "find the rest" of the season budget.  Should an open class corps only be able to find 70 students before tour, they need to make up the rest of the budget they didn't get when they planned for 110 students.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Open Class is nearly 90% member due driven, hence its volatility.  And then the board has to "find the rest" of the season budget.  Should an open class corps only be able to find 70 students before tour, they need to make up the rest of the budget they didn't get when they planned for 110 students.  

Can confirm.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thanks, that makes sense. Obligatory:

You need a mission statement to be able to be non profit, and to be able to bring in donations.  You need to prove you mostly follow your mission for continuing to exist as a non profit.  

Mostly is the key word here. 

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

actually a corps that doesn't make semis annually backed it up when a director who hadn't made finals in 15 years said it. 

i love how you like to speak for how i think and what i know when time and time again you fail miserably at it

• Like 1