A Modest Proposal

Maybe the best solution is to align with BOA and for the DCI tour to formally become "BOA Summer Camp"

It is what it is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I think the payroll numbers among WC corps is closer than you think.

A line like this gives me reason to think otherwise

ECUp4QN.jpg

This was the 2019 tax year, the most recent publicly available. It was the post-championship year, so the corps was riding high, I get it. These numbers also apply to VMAPA as a whole, of which SCV is only a subset, though likely a very large subset.

But even with those stipulations, a contract-labor cost that consumes a third of top-line revenue ($1.96M) seems very weighty indeed.

Maybe this is typical. If it is, methinks it is cause for some sober self-reflection.

8 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

A line like this gives me reason to think otherwise

ECUp4QN.jpg

This was the 2019 tax year, the most recent publicly available. It was the post-championship year, so the corps was riding high, I get it. These numbers also apply to VMAPA as a whole, of which SCV is only a subset, though likely a very large subset.

But even with those stipulations, a contract-labor cost that consumes a third of top-line revenue ($1.96M) seems very weighty indeed.

Maybe this is typical. If it is, methinks it is cause for some sober self-reflection.

Don't forget that number is for 2 corps and a bingo hall.

26 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Don't forget that number is for 2 corps and a bingo hall.

Sure. I said as much in my post. Column C presumably sweeps up much/most of the people on actual payroll across all elements of the organization eg Bingo. Column B would appear to be mostly the hired guns: designers, artistic coordinators, caption heads . . .  The report leaves much to informed guesswork. My point, though, is that 33% is a (seemingly too) large slice of any pie, regardless how layered or multifaceted the organization is.

Or, I dunno, maybe 33% isn't too much in an activity that runs on thin FT admin staff and a ton of seasonal talent. What I'm truly curious about, in any case, is whether 33% is an outlier number, or the norm.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Sure. I said as much in my post. Column C presumably sweeps up much/most of the people on actual payroll across all elements of the organization eg Bingo. Column B would appear to be mostly the hired guns: designers, artistic coordinators, caption heads . . .  The report leaves much to informed guesswork. My point, though, is that 33% is a (seemingly too) large slice of any pie, regardless how layered or multifaceted the organization is.

Or, I dunno, maybe 33% isn't too much in an activity that runs on thin FT admin staff and a ton of seasonal talent. What I'm truly curious about, in any case, is whether 33% is an outlier number, or the norm.

At least in the normal business world, payroll is 40-60% of overhead. 33% for 2 organizations doesn't seem out of line. 

Even in the non profit theatre, in which I was a board member and created the budget, our single employee was 30% of our revenue.

5 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Aren't things like SafeSport addressing this? Isn't the loss of Oregon Crusaders and Pioneer and a one year hiatus of Spirit proof that there has been progress on the issue? Today there are more avenues to be heard than ever before and more people willing to listen and believe their stories. It's not perfect, I admit, but certainly there is progress and there will continue to be progress. 

But dci only acts when a #### storm erupts and too often it comes out they did nothing until they had to. Safe Sport has issues too tho good intentioned

3 hours ago, ykw said:

Maybe the best solution is to align with BOA and for the DCI tour to formally become "BOA Summer Camp"

It is what it is.

Combining the scholastic with the independent is a problem though given each groups bylaws as well as legal ramifications. Plus dci corps have far more say than boa bands. That very process causes WGI many issues but independent groups there don’t have the financial investment and reliance dci corps do

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

With no basis other than my informed guess, I think the Vanguard salaries are inflated by all of the other operations, possibly including F/T bingo.  

Mike

True but BD has 3 corps and more bingo and less in salaries