12 Days Of Drum Corps - 1987 Santa Clara Vanguard

7 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Not the only 1987 performance on my list, either.

one of my favorite years

• Like 4

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

That was quite a night in Madison.  An embarrassment of riches. 

Starting off with Sky’s WSS and the Bloo making their Finals debut may be one of the best 1-2 Finals openings we’ve ever had.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scout9193 said:

I seem to remember really digging the 13th place corps as well.  In fact, I believe Wave may have beaten Sky Ryders and Bluecoats during the season.  I'm going to have to go back and see if that show is on YT. 

I’ve heard that Wave show, and I can believe it. 

At 17 years old I was sobbing in the stands when they lost. I wanted them to win so bad. So heartbreaking. '87 Vanguard and '87 Garfield are still my favorite shows in history. I wish it had been the first tie.

I think both deserved it. One thing I have never understood is how the drum judge could have given Garfield at 20.0 with the defending drum champion yet to perform. That seems like really irresponsible numbers management. If only he had given them a 19.9.

Edited by Vuitton

On 12/15/2023 at 12:55 PM, Terri Schehr said:

That was quite a night in Madison.  An embarrassment of riches. 

Ahh, 1987! I was a grad student at Michigan State.  Got it in my mind to "just drive up to Madison to go to Finals"...fortunately, one of my friends grew up near Madison (he went to U-W undergrad) and his family still lived there and offered overnight lodging.  I drive up, find a spot to park on a side street somewhat near the stadium, and on my way up to the stadium find someone selling a single ticket.  I vividly remember all of the above and attending the show, but for the life of me can't remember where I was sitting 😂

• Like 1