What does DCI mean to you?

Never marched. Had some friends that marched Muchachos and a BF who marched Cabs. He told us we would enjoy it, so we “tuned up” and went to finals at Franklin Field in 1976. Saw lots of East Coast shows until the late 80s, and then mostly just Allentown and BL&L movie casts. I have a grandson who likes watching drum corps on YouTube. We take him to football games so he can watch the bands!  And, at 3, he can get 2 distinct notes out of his dad’s old trumpet!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DWW11 said:

Never marched. Had some friends that marched Muchachos and a BF who marched Cabs. He told us we would enjoy it, so we “tuned up” and went to finals at Franklin Field in 1976. Saw lots of East Coast shows until the late 80s, and then mostly just Allentown and BL&L movie casts. I have a grandson who likes watching drum corps on YouTube. We take him to football games so he can watch the bands!  And, at 3, he can get 2 distinct notes out of his dad’s old trumpet!

Hopefully, the legacy continues 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DWW11 said:

You saw myself and @Sutasaurusthat night at Franklin Field. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You saw myself and @Sutasaurusthat night at Franklin Field. 

And you saw me cheering Terri and Suta on. Well, their corps, anyway. Go Illinois. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

And you saw me cheering Terri and Suta on. Well, their corps, anyway. Go Illinois. 

It was an honor and pleasure to be there for you. Talk about a win-win!

Terri and I are here every Thursday night. Next time, try the brisket! Be sure and tip your waitress!😁 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 4

So earlier this year all my friends went to a DCI show and said it was great. I was kinda indifferent to be honest. Anyways, one of the kids in my MB held a finals watch party. Me, a complete noob said sure because it might be fun to watch pro marching bands (yes I know they are corps, as I said I was a noob). I get there and the commandants own comes on and I thought that was cool. I watched the show and was very confused by them, they were on a whole other level from the typical class A show. I was disappointed to learn that there were no woodwinds in drum corps and kind of fell out of interest. YIM rolls around and I see the colts booth and I recognized one of the guys. I went over to say hi and the people there talked me into joining. I comment that I play clarinet and couldn’t do it and someone tells me to do baritone, and that it is easier to learn. 

After that, I buy a t shirt and get stuck on drum corps borrowing a Euphonium from the school and learn it. I have plans to march govenaires in a few years when I get good enough at marching and euphonium. (Tried to sign up for Colt Cadets and ultimately decided to get better and focus on regular MB.)

• Like 7

13 hours ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

So earlier this year all my friends went to a DCI show and said it was great. I was kinda indifferent to be honest. Anyways, one of the kids in my MB held a finals watch party. Me, a complete noob said sure because it might be fun to watch pro marching bands (yes I know they are corps, as I said I was a noob). I get there and the commandants own comes on and I thought that was cool. I watched the show and was very confused by them, they were on a whole other level from the typical class A show. I was disappointed to learn that there were no woodwinds in drum corps and kind of fell out of interest. YIM rolls around and I see the colts booth and I recognized one of the guys. I went over to say hi and the people there talked me into joining. I comment that I play clarinet and couldn’t do it and someone tells me to do baritone, and that it is easier to learn. 

After that, I buy a t shirt and get stuck on drum corps borrowing a Euphonium from the school and learn it. I have plans to march govenaires in a few years when I get good enough at marching and euphonium. (Tried to sign up for Colt Cadets and ultimately decided to get better and focus on regular MB.)

Some things never change. Knew woodwind players in the 70s who wanted to join a corps. Response was always “here’s a Bari”. 

Have been a Govies fan for about 20 years now. Good luck…

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Some things never change. Knew woodwind players in the 70s who wanted to join a corps. Response was always “here’s a Bari”. 

Have been a Govies fan for about 20 years now. Good luck…

Thanks!

• Like 2