What does DCI mean to you?

13 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

What does DCI mean to me?

Forgivable, but relentless heartburn. 

The activity itself? Greg said is best. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In the moment, I thought that marching in DCI competition, at whatever level, was the pinnacle of performance. At the time, I felt that being connected with, or marching in a DCI corps made me "somebody." Since that time, I have had many more meaningful and rewarding performance opportunities with more traditional musical ensembles, in more traditional musical performance venues. I know now that what I (and the rest of us) was doing was some of the most "niche" performance art ever seen.

As the activity migrated away from what it was to what it is, I have stayed away. While I still hang on the farthest periphery of drum corps (DCP), it no longer holds the joy that it did for me in my youth. Part of that is simply the rules changes; the replacement of problematic instruments with other problematic instruments, etc... I despise electronic amplification/instrumentation and indoor performances by groups that were intended to be 100% acoustic and to perform in outdoor venues. I know many former marching members share that sentiment, but I am also aware that I'm probably in the minority. So be it. I am obviously speaking on the most basic elements of what makes up modern drum corps, and not the socio-economic aspects, which are another matter entirely.

Knowing what we all know about things that have gone on, seemingly in perpetuity throughout the history of the activity, I would never allow my children to march. It's just not worth the risk. Maybe it never was.

in the years 96-01.  It was a welcome break from my home life in Pittsburgh.  A place where musicians gave as much as I did to be great at their craft.  It was a way to travel the states for a kid and family who had zero cash. But It was also a few years of turmoil, and change.  

It helped me grow up quickly and also formed relationships I still have today.   There's no greater feeling than taking a bent piece of metal, a set of sticks, a piece of guard equipment and bring a crowd to its feet.  That's a feeling i still love onstage and backstage today in my career.  Instant gratification.  Cool effect onstage, audience cheers.  Great solo in the club, audience cheers.  The adrenaline from sharing that craft is unable to be duplicated (at least legally). 

Problematically, this activity now feels like my daily career.  My last few years as a staff member for both DCI and DCA became a chore.  And its because what is on the field today, reminds me of what I see onstage in any venue I work in.  It used to be a break for me from my daily grind.  Instead every year in inches closer towards my life in entertainment.  

I still dig the activity, I love seeing the performers give it their all, I'm overly scrutinizing of design choices, but its still great to see it somehow making it happen in a world where much is against it. 

• Like 1

Me to drum corps @1:17:  

"You know I love you drum corps", he replied.

"You are the light of my life; my sun, moon, & stars... Without you, I have no reason for being!"

(pause for Crown horn line impact)

Sorry, but it is funny & a chance to enjoy this wonderful ballad from Alan Silvestri. 🤭😂 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But on a serious note, I'm thankful for my HS band director who took us to the 1980 DCI Finals at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama.   

After serving as a section leader in HS, college, GTA, drum corps staff, & band director, I'm still a life long learner & have enjoyed observing several of our students march throughout the years.  Now, 43 years later, I'm still attending DCI events as a fan.  I love the product but most of all, I love seeing the marching members success & their emotional expressions after their last performance in Indy.  

Great topic by the way! #MarchOn     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

8 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

At best, my feelings are neutral about DCI.

Drum corps, on the other hand, changed the trajectory of my life and career in every conceivable way. Despite that, I tried to leave it behind after dedicating over a decade of my young life to pageantry and colorguard education. Most of the people in my small drum corps circle at the time became too toxic for it to be fun anymore. The rest were scattered across the States and we lost touch fairly quickly.

That is, until my ex-fiance, rookie year seat partner, and good friend to this day sent me news of Spirit's situation. (This person observed and intervened when the corps they worked for BITD were serving rotten food to the members.) No explanation, no thoughts. Just did you hear about this? Since then, I've only wanted to laya the groundwork others like me who were never really able to move past their negative experiences in the activity. And I'll gladly take the licks from bullies, which seem to keep coming both on DCP and from my own fellow alumni. Better me than the others who are still coming to grips with their negative experiences.

In the meantime, I've reconnected with some honorable alumni from SCV and other corps who, for the first time in my life, were able to say I'm sorry that happened to you, it never should have been that way. And even then, I can probably still count on one hand how many people have said that to me. Spirit's CEO is one of them. Most Americans continue to lack basic literacy in harassment/bullying or mental health to handle a simple conversation about it anyway. Thanks 'Murica. All I want is for others in my position to feel that sweet catharsis among other caring alumni and community members if the want it. Based on my experience and training, they need it. They deserve it. Many are still quite young.

That's what drum corps means to me now. I have a plethora of feel-good stories, but the community doesn't deserve them if they can't also accept the very-real dark side of the activity. In fact, that's all I've ever known: the cognitive dissonance between the two. And some of those stories include defenders who stood up for those of us being harmed. THOSE are some of my sweetest stories. I remain incredibly grateful to every alum and everyone on DCP who have gone out of their way to remind me of the joys of drum corps and have helped me laugh about the funner side of the activity again. That's been cathartic as well.

Okay, one fun fact. I'm technically from Kansas (both adoptive and first families!) and wholeheartedly believe that our flat topography gives us an unfair advantage in pageantry. My people were meant for marching even if I was the first to do it. Thanks r/drumcorps for that! 🤣

If you can spare them, send a few positive thoughts to Vanguardland.

I kinda just want to give you a hug. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1