Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It took a lot of years building the org, and was done so no one person, or faction within, could control the organization.

Yes, I can imagine that it took years to build this org and that it's how staffed with professionals from all walks of life who bring the benefits of their areas of expertise outside of D&BC. I did not mean to suggest that the org needed to be or was in fact a 'dictatorship' with a tyrant in control - truly the best leaders are not that way - but you are correct, in my experience 'factions' and partisanship can arise. The trick is to avoid the 'tyranny of democracy' - everyone thinking they have a vote and/or that their vote carries as much or more weight than others.

13 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It took a lot of years building the org, and was done so no one person, or faction within,  could control the organization.  Yes it’s a lot of cats,  but these are cats are happy doing what it is asked of them.  And no doubt there are watchers of the cats in the mix too.

👀 Boston values their watchers, huh? Weird. What's that like?

I'm still being metaphorically patched up from the last time I was dismissed by my peers. Just in time to discover another alum-survivor just last week. 😬

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Achilles said:

That's one way...but perhaps not the best way. The entire statement here kinda surprises me...Do the caption heads not have a budget (an allocation of the corps' overall budget), one for which they are involved in the process of setting the value thereof, and are they then held accountable to stick to? Otherwise...no accountability, and chaos and 'bullying' ensue.

I don’t know. I just know what I heard. 

4 hours ago, craiga said:

Too much doom and gloom.  If someone really believes that drum corps is either dying or already dead, why on earth would they even bother to come onto DCP and post?  

Because we care about current members and the activity. Sometimes honest opinions sound harsh…

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t know. I just know what I heard. 

Appreciate that, I'm really asking about the DC community at large, not necessarily specific to your experience.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Achilles said:

Yes, I can imagine that it took years to build this org and that it's how staffed with professionals from all walks of life who bring the benefits of their areas of expertise outside of D&BC. I did not mean to suggest that the org needed to be or was in fact a 'dictatorship' with a tyrant in control - truly the best leaders are not that way - but you are correct, in my experience 'factions' and partisanship can arise. The trick is to avoid the 'tyranny of democracy' - everyone thinking they have a vote and/or that their vote carries as much or more weight than others.

Experiences required change on how things needed to be done to ensure the proper management and oversight of management and overall health of an organization and all who participate in it.

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My dad came over about 10 years ago for lunch. Was watching DCA Prelims online. His quote was “with the money and time needed to do this, surprised drum corps is still around”.

End of the year will be 50 years 🤮 since I first joined a corps. From my long viewpoint we have been at that handful of corps for a while.

#### you're old

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, craiga said:

Too much doom and gloom.  If someone really believes that drum corps is either dying or already dead, why on earth would they even bother to come onto DCP and post?  Just move along, seriously.  People have been saying drum corps is dying since the 70s and they are still here, even after a pandemic.

because in drum corps, alumni have been #####ing since day 2

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That was the ultimate goal.  Six or seven “Supercorps”.  It wasn’t exactly a secret in the 90’s.  They were out-and-out saying it. 

well one was.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Achilles said:

Appreciate that, I'm really asking about the DC community at large, not necessarily specific to your experience.

it depends on the organization