BOA Bans Ensemble Amplification. Is DCI next?

https://marching.musicforall.org/philosophy-amplification-enhancement/?fbclid=IwAR2xZyZ2XBcdbJpLNtbCOMXg4pJTmVtQDkoRHnjv1BO6XO-1LHVqTQ7lelc

BOA puts in guidance regarding certain areas of amplification during ensemble moments. Interesting to see. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Specifically, here's what's proposed banned: 

• All music from traditional wind and percussion instruments or electronic instruments must be performed by a student live and in real time.
  • The use of sampled, prerecorded, or sequenced sounds of woodwind, brass, and/or percussion instruments is not permitted.

robin-williams-yes.gif

Edited by Lance
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lance said:

Specifically, here's what banned: 

• All music from traditional wind and percussion instruments or electronic instruments must be performed by a student live and in real time.
  • The use of sampled, prerecorded, or sequenced sounds of woodwind, brass, and/or percussion instruments is not permitted.

But notice that it is not "banned" (yet). This doc reads that it is a "suggested self-policing guideline." 

It needs to be banned.

46 minutes ago, Lance said:

Specifically, here's what's proposed banned: 

robin-williams-yes.gif

So if you want to use a small snippet that calls for a timpani sound but you don't want to haul timpani out on the field for only 2-3 notes you won't be able to do it? Transporting timpani isn't smart logistically for a lot of band programs.

Also, electronic drum sounds if you want an "80's" type sound or feel?

this proposal is very vague. I think I understand intent but wording is very grey.

13 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

So if you want to use a small snippet that calls for a timpani sound but you don't want to haul timpani out on the field for only 2-3 notes you won't be able to do it? Transporting timpani isn't smart logistically for a lot of band programs.

I had to "Adapt" how I was arranging with the smaller band I worked with based on the available instrumentation. 

If you don't have the skills to adapt, why claim to be a teacher or arranger?  

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47bsdjtx252npq1dzfbn

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I had to "Adapt" how I was arranging with the smaller band I worked with based on the available instrumentation. 

If you don't have the skills to adapt, why claim to be a teacher or arranger?  

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47bsdjtx252npq1dzfbn

And if you have the tool available to you, why not be able to use it?

If you have an electronic keyboard, why only limit it to making piano, strings, and bass guitar sounds? How many groups use Mainstage or Logic with a full library of sounds at their fingertip but somebody is going to police what sounds are used and where?

This is not going to turn into another "back in my day" discussion but how do you allow progress and place limits on the tools at the same time?Limiting the functionality of a keyboard is kind of like having a clarinet but telling them they aren't allowed to play b flat or a trumpet but they aren't allowed to use a mute.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Sure.  And if you have a tool available to amplify a few trumpets to sound as loud as a whole section, why bother with having a whole section?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

If you have an electronic keyboard, why only limit it to making piano, strings, and bass guitar sounds? How many groups use Mainstage or Logic with a full library of sounds at their fingertip but somebody is going to police what sounds are used and where?

This is not going to turn into another "back in my day" discussion but how do you allow progress and place limits on the tools at the same time?Limiting the functionality of a keyboard is kind of like having a clarinet but telling them they aren't allowed to play b flat or a trumpet but they aren't allowed to use a mute.

The limits are "instrumentation" and the "skills" of the students.  If you don't have a trumpet student that can play a double "C", then don't write for it.  A "keyboard" is a "keyboard" and a "tuba" is a "tuba" that last time I checked.  This gets us into the whole "Thunderous Goo" conversation that doesn't need to be rehashed. 

You write to what you have. If you don't have it, you adapt accordingly. I can't tell you how many times I have heard directors and arrangers say "We'll cover that missing part in the pit" as a response to the instrumentation on the field.  That sounds like a cop out for someone that can't adapt to the challenge.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Because in theory the KB with proper sound samples can mimic ANY instrument.  Rather self defeating for the other 99% of the people on the field with a traditional instrument.  Frankly this has taken a long time for people to wake up.  Your mute justification doesn't really follow.  A muted trumpet is still a trumpet and not a sample.  Indoor activity with electronic instruments seems a more proper venue.