BOA Bans Ensemble Amplification. Is DCI next?

11 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

This is not going to turn into another "back in my day" discussion but how do you allow progress and place limits on the tools at the same time?Limiting the functionality of a keyboard is kind of like having a clarinet but telling them they aren't allowed to play b flat or a trumpet but they aren't allowed to use a mute.

No, but it's sure looking like it's going to turn into yet another nonsensical analogy discussion.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

Sure.  And if you have a tool available to amplify a few trumpets to sound as loud as a whole section, why bother with having a whole section?

2 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

The limit is "instrumentation" and "Skills" of the students.  If you don't have a trumpet student that can play a double "C", then don't write for it.  A "keyboard" is a "keyboard" and a "tuba" is a "tuba" that last time I checked.  This gets us into the whole "Thunderous Goo" conversation that doesn't need to be rehashed.  You write to what you have. If you don't have it, you adapt accordingly.

I think this is getting into the weeds a bit here.

I don't see anyone limiting instrumentation, only enhancing what they have with available tools.

Is amplifying a few select members of the wind section to make you sound better shady? You bet.

Is it more or less shady than cutting the 15 clarinets out of your 45 member woodwind section or 6 mellophones from a 20 member mello section from a feature because they can't play it very well? I don't think so but nobody is policing that.

As far as "adapting" that is a broad term on how you adapt. The way some people adapt is different than how others adapt. Some people accept and are able to only do what you have available to you. Others find new and different ways to adapt. That is how the front ensemble and electronics all came into use. It was adapting and evolving with the times and available tools/technology.

9 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Because in theory the KB with proper sound samples can mimic ANY instrument.  Rather self defeating for the other 99% of the people on the field with a traditional instrument.  Frankly this has taken a long time for people to wake up.  Your mute justification doesn't really follow.  A muted trumpet is still a trumpet and not a sample.  Indoor activity with electronic instruments seems a more proper venue.

And an electronic keyboard is still a keyboard no matter what sound comes out of it.

I don't want to debate merits of electronics, I just don't see how you can possibly police what sounds are or are not coming out of any instrument. You want to put rules in place, fine. But how do you police it? Inspect everyone's MainStage/Logic setup before and after a performance? Have a T&P guy stand over the electronic performers shoulder with a tick sheet?

Every organization already states that sounds must be performed in real time anyway. The only difference I can see to that is a "pre-show" but that is pre-show and technically not judged while everyone is setting up. Removing that actually creates creative limitations on the entertainment factor to the audience while the group finishes the final preparations of their show.

30 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

And if you have the tool available to you, why not be able to use it?

If you have an electronic keyboard, why only limit it to making piano, strings, and bass guitar sounds? How many groups use Mainstage or Logic with a full library of sounds at their fingertip but somebody is going to police what sounds are used and where?

This is not going to turn into another "back in my day" discussion but how do you allow progress and place limits on the tools at the same time?Limiting the functionality of a keyboard is kind of like having a clarinet but telling them they aren't allowed to play b flat or a trumpet but they aren't allowed to use a mute.

Heck we have synthesizers, why have brass in Drum Corps? Just put 3 synths out there and play all the formerly brass parts on synth.  Heck, arrange it in key of G.  While you’re at it, put all percussion in pit as well. Amp the whole thing to the max.  And then add about 80-100 more guard.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Speling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

And an electronic keyboard is still a keyboard no matter what sound comes out of it.

I don't want to debate merits of electronics, I just don't see how you can possibly police what sounds are or are not coming out of any instrument. You want to put rules in place, fine. But how do you police it? Inspect everyone's MainStage/Logic setup before and after a performance? Have a T&P guy stand over the electronic performers shoulder with a tick sheet?

Every organization already states that sounds must be performed in real time anyway. The only difference I can see to that is a "pre-show" but that is pre-show and technically not judged while everyone is setting up. Removing that actually creates creative limitations on the entertainment factor to the audience while the group finishes the final preparations of their show.

Sounds like a great idea.  I mean we could just cut the electricity and see how that flies also.  Going green and all that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Heck we have synthesizers, why have brass in Drum Corps? Just put 3 synths out there and play all the formerly brass parts on synth.  Heck, arrange it in key of G.  While you’re at it, put all percussion in pit as well. Amp the whole thing to the max.  And then add about 80-100 more guard.  

But you know nobody is doing that or is planning to do that with electronics. What they seem to be against is enhancing the existing sound.

There was a small band that won Class A BOA this year. Very small wind section, all amplified. They don't seem to have an issue with that. They just don't like it when big bands do it.

In consideration of the Bands of America philosophy, we recommend the following be implemented for the 2023 BOA season and beyond.

• Amplifying individuals through a soundboard during tutti sections leads to an
    intentional misrepresentation of what is being performed by the total ensemble. This
    misrepresentation of acoustic quality by enhancing a few individuals is unacceptable.
  • Soloists and featured ensembles may use microphones during their feature section but must be muted from amplification when not being featured.
  • Where a participating band has a limited number of performers (e.g., one player to a part), the use of individual microphones is acceptable.

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

So if you want to use a small snippet that calls for a timpani sound but you don't want to haul timpani out on the field for only 2-3 notes you won't be able to do it? Transporting timpani isn't smart logistically for a lot of band programs.

Also, electronic drum sounds if you want an "80's" type sound or feel?

this proposal is very vague. I think I understand intent but wording is very grey.

Sounds like you can use a sample, but the person needs to strike each note at a time a sound is made compared to just pushing a button and letting it play through a sequence.

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Sounds like you can use a sample, but the person needs to strike each note at a time a sound is made compared to just pushing a button and letting it play through a sequence.

And that has been in the rules already for quite a while. Sound samples are built in and triggered syllable by syllable for anything that has rhythmic intent. The real question is anyone policing it because I'm pretty sure there are groups who skirt the rules.

• Thanks 1