"Uniforms/Costumes"

13 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I'm wondering why DCI isn't leaning into the same styles as some indoor uniforms. If that's what the design is then lean into it. Like Bostons looks like a stock creative solution uniform when you compare it to a Pulse, RCC, or Broken City(these three are top of line at designing good uniforms). I think Spirits tease is going more towards the WGI detailed style. You can still create a customer uniform that's moveable in that's detailed. 

IMO, the WGI costumes don’t read as well on a larger football field in a larger stadium but DCI is slowly headed that way anyway. And that’s not me complaining about it, just calling it how I see it. Compare what uniforms in drum corps look like today to what they looked like a decade ago and it’s hard to argue against it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

IMO, the WGI costumes don’t read as well on a larger football field in a larger stadium but DCI is slowly headed that way anyway. And that’s not me complaining about it, just calling it how I see it. Compare what uniforms in drum corps look like today to what they looked like a decade ago and it’s hard to argue against it. 

It's more of the flow and design of them. I think WGI designs uniforms better than DCI. 

On 6/19/2023 at 9:15 PM, Sutasaurus said:

DWW11, I respect the point you’re trying to make but did Matisse chop up old artwork to make his break into a new genre? Not sure I’m getting this concept. Who is going to get pieces of old BD uniforms sewed into this year’s costume?

Go back in the Time Machine to 1993 “The Modern Imagination”  show was groundbreaking then because no one else tried it. No one. 

I’m just holding judgement until they put this show up against it’s competition.

still wearing my blue flame suit.

I don’t think it matters if the audience gets it since, as you say, it looks like a regular modern BD uniform. But as a member, I’d find it very cool to be wearing little pieces of BD history. Not every detail is about the audience “getting it” or about innovating. Plenty details are really about making the members feel great about the show and like they’re a part of something greater. If it inspires great morale and better performances, so much the better! We don’t have to be cynics all the time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I don’t think it matters if the audience gets it since, as you say, it looks like a regular modern BD uniform. But as a member, I’d find it very cool to be wearing little pieces of BD history. Not every detail is about the audience “getting it” or about innovating. Plenty details are really about making the members feel great about the show and like they’re a part of something greater. If it inspires great morale and better performances, so much the better! We don’t have to be cynics all the time. 

I appreciate your words…. Motivation is a big factor. Not trying to be cynical, just waiting to see what this version of BD will bring to the table.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I can appreciate doing something for the members, so that's very cool.

• Like 4

On 6/14/2023 at 10:15 PM, falcon said:

Personally, from a GE standpoint, I feel uniform headgear helps sell the drill visually.

I've been saying this for a few years know. It single handedly will clean up drill and add some amount of uniformity back to DCI. Is that a clean circle form or a blob? I'm not sure, everyone looks so different it's hard to tell.

#bringbackhats

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wynalazca said:

I've been saying this for a few years know. It single handedly will clean up drill and add some amount of uniformity back to DCI. Is that a clean circle form or a blob? I'm not sure, everyone looks so different it's hard to tell.

#bringbackhats

Yes! Absolutely....and not only that, but the type of hat really doesn't even matter.   I don't care if they're wearing pineapples on their heads....they WILL look more uniform AND  the forms will be better defined. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I'm wondering why DCI isn't leaning into the same styles as some indoor uniforms. If that's what the design is then lean into it. Like Bostons looks like a stock creative solution uniform when you compare it to a Pulse, RCC, or Broken City(these three are top of line at designing good uniforms). I think Spirits tease is going more towards the WGI detailed style. You can still create a customer uniform that's moveable in that's detailed. 

Now that I am home I can add photos to my point.  If you are going to go this style go all out and make it look good.

maxresdefault.jpg

338200873_896718131534498_64779886638186341260379_241508855109340_43630908684544Pulse-Percussion-2023-Where-The-Streets-

30 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Now that I am home I can add photos to my point.  If you are going to go this style go all out and make it look good.

maxresdefault.jpg

338200873_896718131534498_64779886638186341260379_241508855109340_43630908684544Pulse-Percussion-2023-Where-The-Streets-

Those are all great!