Pacific Crest 2023 “Goddess”

4 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

This is why I don't know why SoCal or even California bands have very good luck at BOA GN. They get 1 band in, mostly Ayala, but there are lots of great bands in that state and it should be able to compete with Texas and Indiana...

Texas had two bands in GN last year that weren't part of the big rotation of Texas names, yet they made it. I don't see why California couldn't do the same.

YES, Pacific Crest needs to be a force.

It's sort of a mystery to me why Southern California hasn't fielded a corps in Finals since (I won't say their name) the 90's.  I think it's because there's just so much to do here year-around and kids have lots of options.  And now that high school bands have stepped up their game since the 1970s it will be even harder. 

But I shall WILL Pacific Crest into Finals this year.  So help me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It's sort of a mystery to me why Southern California hasn't fielded a corps in Finals since (I won't say their name) the 90's.  I think it's because there's just so much to do here year-around and kids have lots of options.  And now that high school bands have stepped up their game since the 1970s it will be even harder. 

But I shall WILL Pacific Crest into Finals this year.  So help me. 

I’m laughing at the tone of your last paragraph. I pray that your will gets PC in.  

To take a stab at the question as to why there hasn’t been a So Cal corps in WC finals for a long time - I think it’s because the only WC corps in So Cal hasn’t had the design staff to get them there.  I believe that they have finally assembled a team that can get them to finals, hopefully this year.  If they keep the team together and members decide to stay, they theoretically will be better next year (again depends on design and other key staff being retained).

What they’ve accomplished with what I believe is a relatively young corps has to be applauded.  They will be challenged to keep the veterans from wanting to experience the higher ranking nor-cal corps.   But I believe there’s a pact among some members that have gone on to those other corps to come back to PC for the age-out years which tells you a lot about the culture of this organization.

• Like 2

I think the deal with California bands is simply the COST of doing BOA as a circuit. Typically a finalist band that is gunning for top half of finals is doing at minimum one super regional and likely one or more regular regionals. 

BOA sometimes runs a regional out there but I'm not sure they've stacked a Super Regional out there.  And the Texas bands and Indiana bands don't have the means or motive to travel to California. So any show west of the Rockies is likely to be smaller and reliant on the California bands.  Travel distance just WITHIN the state is absurd let alone travelling out of it.  

So Western Bands is a more predominant circuit out there. And I dunno how well the sheets translate across the circuits.  Does a show designed for the Western Bands circuit match up with BOA sheets?  Would the BOA judges have enough reads on their show and feedback to them on how to adjust to the BOA sheets?   I say this as an issue because I marched ISSMA (indana) circuit in the 80s when it was sort of well noted that ISSMA sheets and BOA sheets didn't align.  A show designed to do well at ISSMA state (which was THE primary goal of bands in that era) would sometimes struggle at BOA.   And a show designed to do well at BOA (like Western High School) would sometimes struggle at ISSMA.   Since my time, ISSMA and BOA have reconciled a lot...in large part to GN being in Indy all the time now.  

Also i'm not sure if the outdoor activity in California is the feeder to DCI World Class as much as the Indoor activity in California feeds DCI World Class.  Also California has developed an outstanding Open Class corps enviroment with their own mini circuit going on in June.  It end fairly ealry enough that it might have solid overlap with California scholastic bands and that might be where those kids are marching in the summer more than the big tour corps? 

I'm sure the folks at PC have a better read on where kids are going for what.  If they can become a destination for some of those outstanding open class kids and then retain them...they'll start attracting kids form other parts of the country 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I think the deal with California bands is simply the COST of doing BOA as a circuit. Typically a finalist band that is gunning for top half of finals is doing at minimum one super regional and likely one or more regular regionals. 

BOA sometimes runs a regional out there but I'm not sure they've stacked a Super Regional out there.  And the Texas bands and Indiana bands don't have the means or motive to travel to California. So any show west of the Rockies is likely to be smaller and reliant on the California bands.  Travel distance just WITHIN the state is absurd let alone travelling out of it.  

So Western Bands is a more predominant circuit out there. And I dunno how well the sheets translate across the circuits.  Does a show designed for the Western Bands circuit match up with BOA sheets?  Would the BOA judges have enough reads on their show and feedback to them on how to adjust to the BOA sheets?   I say this as an issue because I marched ISSMA (indana) circuit in the 80s when it was sort of well noted that ISSMA sheets and BOA sheets didn't align.  A show designed to do well at ISSMA state (which was THE primary goal of bands in that era) would sometimes struggle at BOA.   And a show designed to do well at BOA (like Western High School) would sometimes struggle at ISSMA.   Since my time, ISSMA and BOA have reconciled a lot...in large part to GN being in Indy all the time now.  

Also i'm not sure if the outdoor activity in California is the feeder to DCI World Class as much as the Indoor activity in California feeds DCI World Class.  Also California has developed an outstanding Open Class corps enviroment with their own mini circuit going on in June.  It end fairly ealry enough that it might have solid overlap with California scholastic bands and that might be where those kids are marching in the summer more than the big tour corps? 

I'm sure the folks at PC have a better read on where kids are going for what.  If they can become a destination for some of those outstanding open class kids and then retain them...they'll start attracting kids form other parts of the country 

Western Bands scoring translates to DCI sheets better than SCSBOA, and there's always some third circuit in SoCal that tries to lure bands from time to time.  Also, the Las,Vegas and Arizona  bands sometimes try to do SoCal circuits.

The numbers are here. The drum talent there is undeniable at all levels.

There's always a regional out West, it's either in SoCal, Flagstaff, Vegas, or southern Utah

Hey PC, we know you are working to get those scores back up and I believe you have that big point jump in you!!!! Bring it on and continue this historic season!

• Like 1

Marching Arts Roundtable interview with artistic director Gabe Escobedo and program coordinator Dave McGrath.

I found this to be one of the more insightful episodes this summer, great to see these staffs sharing their experiences.

Looking forward to catching PC tonight in Allentown.  

Edited by ExPitster

14 minutes ago, ExPitster said:

Marching Arts Roundtable interview with artistic director Gabe Escobedo and program coordinator Dave McGrath.

I found this to be one of the more insightful episodes this summer, great to see these staffs sharing their experiences.

Looking forward to catching PC tonight in Allentown.  

Awesome, full episode here:

https://marchingartseducation.com/pacific-crest-on-designing-for-performer-success/?fbclid=IwAR3S_pOtZ-BFr9ED3GV__XWb06tt6gqIBXG7sChitYbsOzbREcRq1ZoUZPI

Corp is looking and sounding great and kids are super hyped and having fun!  Let's end the season with great runs and make sure to leave it all on the field!!  Can't wait for people in Lucas to see the amped up version of their show on Thur/Friday and if earned then Saturday!!!!

• Like 1

Huge congrats to this year's PC. I'm sure it's bittersweet to be done after tonight, but I have no doubt everyone involved is incredibly proud--and they SHOULD be! Best of all, I hope this will really boost their recruitment for next year. Top 12 can't be far off for them!

• Like 4