Air Quality Issues for DCI First Show and Beyond

Why DCI didn’t elect to use one of the DFW area indoor venues is a bit of a mystery to me. Even if AT&T Stadium is too big or expensive, The Star at Frisco would’ve been a great alternative. And that venue has hosted marching contests before so it’s definitely possible. 

7 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Ty for the correction. Marched in 120+ heat index in Dallas so I know it's possible, but am in a neighboring state now.

Reminded me of VFW Nats in Dallas in 1971. We (Cadets) were coming onto the field in the Cotton Bowl for prelims, and I overheard one employee tell another it was 135 on the field. That was the original old astroturf on concrete. We were in our wool unis. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago,  TheOneWhoKnows said: 

Cavaliers just pulled out of tonight

The Cavaliers will not appear tonight in Rockford, Michigan. The Air Quality Index (AQI) where the corps is being housed for rehearsal has remained in the “Very Unhealthy” range, exceeding both NCAA and DCI protocol for safe outdoor activity to occur for the last several days. Through consultation with local officials, we have continued to follow all rehearsal guidelines established by DCI while monitoring any changes in air quality on an 

Edited by dureau
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

Reminded me of VFW Nats in Dallas in 1971. We (Cadets) were coming onto the field in the Cotton Bowl for prelims, and I overheard one employee tell another it was 135 on the field. That was the original old astroturf on concrete. We were in our wool unis. 

Yup, but back then we had salt pills. Those were considered the magic remedy for everything heat related.  

On a more curious/serious note, back then air conditioning was not common.  I wonder if we were then more acclimated to the heat?   Not necessarily wool uniforms in heat, but heat in general.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Punc.t.nation
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, crownisking said:

Why DCI didn’t elect to use one of the DFW area indoor venues is a bit of a mystery to me. Even if AT&T Stadium is too big or expensive, The Star at Frisco would’ve been a great alternative. And that venue has hosted marching contests before so it’s definitely possible. 

Venues of comparable size like the McKinney ISD stadium(they both literally seat 12,000) have been used and are being used this year, so maybe that could happen? I know spectators wouldn’t be opposed to it and it would provide a more tolerable environment for the performers.

7 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Venues of comparable size like the McKinney ISD stadium(they both literally seat 12,000) have been used and are being used this year, so maybe that could happen? I know spectators wouldn’t be opposed to it and it would provide a more tolerable environment for the performers.

Question (not to troll, but because I am curious about answer) - If Corps is out-of-doors in heat unloading & warming up, and then indoors at climate-controlled performance, does change in temperature impact tuning?   Any other stuff that could be impacted by a 25-degree sudden change in temperature?

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Question (not to troll, but because I am curious about answer) - If Corps is out-of-doors in heat unloading & warming up, and then indoors at climate-controlled performance, does change in temperature impact tuning?   Any other stuff that could be impacted by a 25-degree sudden change in temperature?

I would imagine the facility itself might be able to provide a warm-up area, either outside in the shade or somewhere indoors, with it being quite the big sports complex. I’m not sure about all of what the facility offers in terms of that though. Plus it may be too pricey for a smaller event, compared to the McKinney stadium, even though it would be a Texas event where it’d undoubtedly sell out.

10 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I would imagine the facility itself might be able to provide a warm-up area, either outside in the shade or somewhere indoors, with it being quite the big sports complex. I’m not sure about all of what the facility offers in terms of that though. Plus it may be too pricey for a smaller event, compared to the McKinney stadium, even though it would be a Texas event where it’d undoubtedly sell out.

It does.  We used to warm up outside of the RCA Dome in Indy in sunny parking lots (pre Lucas oil) and then go inside the air locked blast chiller to perform. Pitch got low low low low low low low low… 

however. With the amount of people it takes to operate a venue of this size, you can’t magically open it up on a dime. You don’t know what event was just in there (just because it’s not on the calendar doesn’t mean it’s not already rented) or what sort of turnaround it takes to get a building of these sizes up and running especially if you just had something in there.