CrownBeat 2023

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I definitely like Phantom's show better, but to be frank, the corps does not have the talent to overtake Bluecoats. That's not a knock against the kids at phantom, they sound and look phenomenal this year. But the Bluecoats' performance levels are at a different level. There will likely be some stratification between 4 and 5

I think it’s just more exciting to see how close they can get to the top 4 and how high their scores can get, rather than expecting them to top any of them. Of course it would be very phan-tastic and exciting of them to climb even further and jump in placements, but the ride will be plenty exciting if 5th is their ceiling, their show is great and I’m enjoying it a lot!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I definitely like Phantom's show better, but to be frank, the corps does not have the talent to overtake Bluecoats. That's not a knock against the kids at phantom, they sound and look phenomenal this year. But the Bluecoats' performance levels are at a different level. There will likely be some stratification between 4 and 5

You are most likely right. I’m just speculating could a hypothetical surging PR show jump into 4th past a weaker designed BC show.  The most logical outcome is what u stated. 

1 hour ago, NewArpege said:

You are most likely right. I’m just speculating could a hypothetical surging PR show jump into 4th past a weaker designed BC show.  The most logical outcome is what u stated. 

Again, disliking a show personally does not mean it is a weak design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Again, disliking a show personally does not mean it is a weak design.

Assuming that bc I criticize a shows design equates to me not liking the show is weak-minded. One can enjoy a show while also recognizing the flaws in its visual package. 

Edited by NewArpege
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NewArpege said:

Assuming that bc I criticize a shows design equates to me not liking the show is weak-minded. One can enjoy a show while also recognizing the flaws in its visual package. 

You have stated multiple times how much you dislike the show in both show threads and the Bluecoats thread. The judges simply don’t agree so your “assessment” that there are so many flaws in the show that could drop them past 4th place is ridiculous. There’s no basis to the claim, the judges disagree, and your personal preferences for show design don’t mean anything competitively.

You can simply say “not my cup of tea, I like Cadets and Phantom Reigment better”

• Like 4

13 hours ago, lawdn said:

Brass and guard are selling this show for me. If the lead guard performer can bring more gravitas to their role as Arthur it would be tremendous impact.

13 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

Same. It's like everyone on the field is performing Camelot, and he's starring in Hair.

I don’t disagree with that assessment, though one must have accumulated some serious acting chops to sell gravitas at age 22🗡️😉

But maybe in his repertoire. 

Again, interesting point, and probably not without some merit👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nsxanax said:

I don’t disagree with that assessment, though one must have accumulated some serious acting chops to sell gravitas at age 22🗡️😉

But maybe in his repertoire. 

Again, interesting point, and probably not without some merit👍

I completely understand and agree with your point. Crown has excelled at featuring guard members in lead roles in the past but maybe not since 2016 - please correct me if there is a more recent example. I do think this show theme and presentation demands it for max impact and hopefully staff is there to help the performer grow into this over the season - I think they have embraced the role with enthusiasm and commitment and their movement skills are great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Bird said:

You have stated multiple times how much you dislike the show in both show threads and the Bluecoats thread. The judges simply don’t agree so your “assessment” that there are so many flaws in the show that could drop them past 4th place is ridiculous. There’s no basis to the claim, the judges disagree, and your personal preferences for show design don’t mean anything competitively.

You can simply say “not my cup of tea, I like Cadets and Phantom Reigment better”

I’ve said on here many times I like the show but it’s visually messy:  too much going on. 

Impressed you know what the entire judging community thinks after 2 shows; if you find comfort in thinking that, it’s ok by me.  This time last year, Crown was sitting in first before they started the slide downward to 4th so things can and do change. 

Lots of runway left in the season. Bluecoats could get better and I’d be happy if they do bc I enjoy what they bring to the table. But I think the way their show is designed they are limited in upward mobility, and they are most likely to be in 4th unless they make some big changes. So right now, I’m calling it like I see it that their show design is going to hold them back this go-round.

Edited by NewArpege
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I would put Phantom over Cadets at this point because their overall design seems more coherent. Props, tarps, drill, uniforms,silks all feel like a uniform thought with shared design elements.

With Cadets, I’m not sure what the idea is. An athletic competition? A workout? Struggle to improve? The uniforms are a very literal, specific look, but the props are just...for what purpose? The music is great and they move well, but there seems to be a missing element. 

Essentially I think the Cadets are showing the athletic drive, strength, and never give up spirit of Atlas who was "one of four sons of the Titan Iapoetos and the Okeanid Klymene."  "His brothers were Prometheus, Epimetheus, and Menoitios.  Atlas and his brother Menoitios took part in the Titanomachy, a war between the Titans and their offspring the Olympians." The quoted section taken from The Story of Atlas

Many body building and other athletic competitions use the Atlas name as a symbol of strength, health, and fitness.  A famous body builder named Charles Atlas (not his real name) used the Altas name and of course started a world-wide movement in body building and strength and conditioning. 

Although Atlas and the Tians lose to the Olympians I think the show revolves around his will to compete and never give up, which is why you often see statues of Atlas holding a Globe over his head. This is referenced in the opening of the Cadets show and again at the end when they wind-up into a circle Globe and rotate a little. The competition with the Olympians is I believe noted with the props (see the photo I attached) which remind me of the flag poles you see in Olympic villages and near the competing venues. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BnOMZvihrERI13JP3UUt4X-z1dK0Jo6H/view?usp=sharing

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2