CrownBeat 2023

35 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Essentially I think the Cadets are showing the athletic drive, strength, and never give up spirit of Atlas who was "one of four sons of the Titan Iapoetos and the Okeanid Klymene."  "His brothers were Prometheus, Epimetheus, and Menoitios.  Atlas and his brother Menoitios took part in the Titanomachy, a war between the Titans and their offspring the Olympians." The quoted section taken from The Story of Atlas

Many body building and other athletic competitions use the Atlas name as a symbol of strength, health, and fitness.  A famous body builder named Charles Atlas (not his real name) used the Altas name and of course started a world-wide movement in body building and strength and conditioning. 

Although Atlas and the Tians lose to the Olympians I think the show revolves around his will to compete and never give up, which is why you often see statues of Atlas holding a Globe over his head. This is referenced in the opening of the Cadets show and again at the end when they wind-up into a circle Globe and rotate a little. The competition with the Olympians is I believe noted with the props (see the photo I attached) which remind me of the flag poles you see in Olympic villages and near the competing venues. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BnOMZvihrERI13JP3UUt4X-z1dK0Jo6H/view?usp=sharing

Thank you! The props make a little more sense now!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Essentially I think the Cadets are showing the athletic drive, strength, and never give up spirit of Atlas who was "one of four sons of the Titan Iapoetos and the Okeanid Klymene."  "His brothers were Prometheus, Epimetheus, and Menoitios.  Atlas and his brother Menoitios took part in the Titanomachy, a war between the Titans and their offspring the Olympians." The quoted section taken from The Story of Atlas

Many body building and other athletic competitions use the Atlas name as a symbol of strength, health, and fitness.  A famous body builder named Charles Atlas (not his real name) used the Altas name and of course started a world-wide movement in body building and strength and conditioning. 

Although Atlas and the Tians lose to the Olympians I think the show revolves around his will to compete and never give up, which is why you often see statues of Atlas holding a Globe over his head. This is referenced in the opening of the Cadets show and again at the end when they wind-up into a circle Globe and rotate a little. The competition with the Olympians is I believe noted with the props (see the photo I attached) which remind me of the flag poles you see in Olympic villages and near the competing venues. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BnOMZvihrERI13JP3UUt4X-z1dK0Jo6H/view?usp=sharing

I know who Atlas is. I know the mythology, the references in literature, the use as a brand symbol on everything from gyms to movers to air cargo companies. I know the character is often used as an example of carrying a burden or overcoming obstacles, and statues of the character are on their flags, etc. My point is more that, beyond surface references, training choreography early on, and the show title, I haven’t yet picked up on if they are aiming to depict overcoming a struggle or what. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Regarding Atlas holding the globe over his head, the top (1st) cervical vertebrae is also called the atlas because it ‘holds’ the skull above it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Big Bird said:

Again, disliking a show personally does not mean it is a weak design.

Perspective, which is individual.  More than likely, the majority of the judges like BC approach.  For a lot of spectators, too much is too much.  

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I know who Atlas is. I know the mythology, the references in literature, the use as a brand symbol on everything from gyms to movers to air cargo companies. I know the character is often used as an example of carrying a burden or overcoming obstacles, and statues of the character are on their flags, etc. My point is more that, beyond surface references, training choreography early on, and the show title, I haven’t yet picked up on if they are aiming to depict overcoming a struggle or what. 

I knew you did. You're one of the people I respect most on here and your visual analysis is so good (and music). I often refer to your analysis of shows when I want to know more about them. I think I was posting more for others to get a reference and to share my thoughts on the props. My apologies is the post felt insulting. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I knew you did. You're one of the people I respect most on here and your visual analysis is so good (and music). I often refer to your analysis of shows when I want to know more about them. I think I was posting more for others to get a reference and to share my thoughts on the props. My apologies is the post felt insulting. 

It takes much more than that to insult me! 😂 I thought perhaps I was not clear and thank you for the kind remarks. Cadets really communicated their idea clearly last year, so I’m hoping this one clarifies more as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

with crown, this is not like last year when they were winning early and the design and even performance didn't really seem to have anywhere to go.  last year really had me worried, but not anymore.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 4