What happens first? (Boston and Mandarins)

29 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Cpt Snarky please note the wording…

I said it in my original message I don’t judge my enjoyment of a show  based on Flo alone 

You said almost everyone likes their show this season.    please show me the facts/evidence proves that almost everyone enjoys their show this year?  

Like any show thread from a show they've been in.   Or listen to the crowd response at shows.  

You suddenly seem strangely obsessed with "measurable objective proof" that people like this show.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

No one is beating BD. Period. 

Yep! People can laugh at your comment all they want, but it is spot on. BD is most likely going undefeated. They are the only corps that will challenge for all captions and the only corps who are going to have few, if any, 3rd or 4th place finishes across the ordinals. I just don't see a path for anyone else to win.

• Like 1

BD is a great drum corps, but I continue to believe that when they finally meet up with Boston this weekend,  we may get a better sense of where both corps stand. BAC will have to be on top of their game to be sure,  but I have reason to believe that they will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Not analyzing as much as just...it's right there.  Y'all hearies make gestures sometimes that mean things.  

I'm still unable to forget going through Detroit airport past one of those multi screen giant TV things they had playing an NBA game and some coach was trying to encourage his players to play in a triangle and 2 defense but all I could see is him boldly gesturing a part of female anatomy and hollering "COME ON GUYS."  

It was...hilarious. 

Lol...well then. 

It was a real “hello sailor!” Moment 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Mandarins are cleaner out of the gate than they ever have been before and cleaning well on the road so far. Their visual and brass in particular are a step up from past years.

The design of the show has stepped up the demand and complexity. Admittedly they've been doing this each year for a few years.  But they're at a point now where the complexity and demand seem consistent through the show. There's not really a "this is the part where they give everyone a break" section.  The lulls for sections are spread through the show in ways that keep the overall package consistent.  

The theme reads through the show design in a more coherent way than I've seen them do since bumping up to the finals tier in World Class.  And it's a fairly fresh take, adapting some previous visual effects in design (e.g. Angels and Demons) but in new ways.  

For many it has what could be called the "lightning in a bottle" factor of design where the coherence of it and electricity of the performance combine in exciting ways to engage the audience.  

In short, I think it's mostly the totality of the package this year that has risen in comparison to past years for the Mandarins that has people excited.  And I think it will be competing with Cadets and Phantom rather than Blue Stars and Academy.  

Thanks for the response…

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I just made a stab at it.  I think for many, Mandarins haven't been on their radar despite being that "aw they made finals cool!"   Mandies caught my eye as far back as 2015 and 2016 when Key Poulan was still writing original bits for them and they were stuck in the 17-20 range.  It was no surprise to me in 2017 when they shifted gears and nearly made finals with Inside the Ink.  The gear shift was intriguing to me too because it was a style unlike anyone else was really doing and I wanted to see where it would go.  They found/made a 'new lane' in design.  

What we're seeing this year is a development of that new lane to a high enough level that it shows consistency and coherency.

Plus...the development of the Brass program in particular has been growing and growing.  Even when they made finals with Life Rite After, there were brass passages that were either written down or hosed so they could move while the more impressive brass parts were during controlled movement or after controlled movement.  Now they're moving and playing more and there's not, to me, an obvious "here's where they've hosed something or written it down to let the brass catch their breath" section.  

Thanks again for the response. Clearly a timing issue when I posted and you  posted.  😁

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

You suddenly seem strangely obsessed with "measurable objective proof" that people like this show.  

Well, to be fair, I think the word obsessed is  a little bit overstated.  😊

do you want some straight up info? I will tell you that the last Mandarin show I liked was 2021.  I am generally not a fan of corps that consistently present dark dissonant  and mostly  esoteric music.  

My level of enjoyment of The 2023 edition of the Mandarins will be unknown until I see them in person  for the first time in Allentown, and then Thursday  in Indy  

Edited by Triple Forte

18 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Well, to be fair, I think the word obsessed is  a little bit overstated.  😊

do you want some straight up info? I will tell you that the last Mandarin show I liked was 2021.  I am generally not a fan of corps that consistently present dark dissonant  and mostly  esoteric music.  

My level of enjoyment of The 2023 edition of the Mandarins will be unknown until I see them in person  for the first time in Allentown, and then Thursday  in Indy  

Fair enough. 

it may not be your cup of tea again this year. But it’s hard to deny that it’s lighting up a lot of people. 

• Like 2

I think we may see a Pacific Crest Finals placement before either of the other two events occurring

• Like 2