Drums Across America - Douglasville, GA

Would love to know if this had been, “the first sell-out in the show’s history.”

Seems to have been a thing at some prior shows this season.

Bodes well for future or pent-up demand from Covid legacy…

11 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Would love to know if this had been, “the first sell-out in the show’s history.”

Seems to have been a thing at some prior shows this season.

Bodes well for future or pent-up demand from Covid legacy…

There’s been a lot of great attendances so far this season which is wonderful for the activity. 

Now, is that pent up demand? Less shows? Shorter season? Who knows. I kind of hope higher attendance numbers points to a return of a “normal” season next year. (Normal in the sense of what we have been used to in the last 10 or so years). 

What I do know is the current competitiveness we are seeing is highly likely to sell more tickets at finals. Which is really good for the activity. It’s also really good that we have Spirit and Cascades back. More corps is better for the activity. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crownisking said:

Oddly enough, tickets for this event are being sold through Crown’s website but they won’t be in attendance tonight…well at least the actual corps isn’t scheduled to perform. 

The SOA organization has been using the Crown ticket platform for several years for their home shows instead of the DCI ticket site. Not sure, but maybe their fees are cheaper than the DCI service? I've purchased several tickets thru the Crown site in the past. The DCI "showare" is hard to find sometimes; I have to google it with showare in the search.      

• Thanks 2

Was at the show last night and it was awesome. There's something to be said for seeing corps in a smaller, high school, venue to give you the full effect of the horn lines and percussion. You miss out a bit on the drill design/effect but nothing compares to getting your face peeled back by a good horn line pop. Overall comments:

Atlanta CV, Heat Wave
They were ok and a good warmup. I recognize the need for corps like this as training grounds for younger marchers or destinations for folks who want to march but not get caught up in World Class corps things. As such they were fine and did a good job with what they had.

Spartans
First time I've ever seen them live and they were a definite step up in show quality, presence, and difficulty. Well done by the Granite Staters!

Music City
Wow! These folks did a wonderful job and have enjoyed watching their transformation over the years. Tasty horn licks, percussion on point, and guard all brought together a great show in terms of quality and announcing to everyone that the big boys/girls are now on stage!

Cadets
I'm biased because I grew up a Cadets fan, but these kids brought the wood. Their first big horn hit pushed the stands back a couple yards and they didn't take their foot off the accelerator the rest of the show. Highs, lows, complexity, movement while playing and a battery/pit that was simply awesome. I was so thrilled with the show I didn't even notice/pay attention to their costumes this year. Well done Holy Name!

Bluecoats
This group always seems like they're trying to bring an edge to every show they do and get in your face while doing it (not saying it's a bad thing, just that they conduct their business with a certain amount of swagger). This one was different (to me anyway) as they came out in lounger costumes, hippy-ish set design, and lack of winking soloists (that I could see anyway). All that said they blew the audience away and had a great show. There was a moment where the corps is spread out end zone to end zone backfield and are playing syncopation with the recorded voice. How they pulled that off without tearing/phasing I don't know but it was flippin awesome!

Spirit of Atlanta
Didn't have high expectations going into this one to be honest. Not because they wouldn't be trying hard, etc., but because of what they went through last year and then having to effectively rebuild (again). To quote a line from the movie Brainstorm - They knocked my socks off! From the first note to the last Baby Blue announced with authority that they were back and hungry! Impactful horn hits, great movement from every element, skilled soloists, and smooth transitions between movements had me thinking I was watching a perennial Top 6 corps. The great thing is with all that they still have room to clean/augment and I hope they continue to do so and are able to make Finals this year!

Only other comment I'll make is that the amplification needed to be dialed way back. The last three corps had kick-butt horn lines with meaningful, in-your-face moments that were partially drowned out by the cranked bass coming out of the speakers. I'm not one of those old-timers who doesn't like amps, and I get why in a space like Lucas Oil Field such heavy bass is needed to fill the space, but they need to pull it way back in smaller venues like high schools to keep from drowning out the rest of the corps. What's funny is they did that for one mic'd soloist who come through very loud on their first couple of notes and was adjusted back down by the board operator. If they can make "in-game" adjustments like that they should be able to do the same in the big impact moments I would think.

Overall a fun night reconnecting with some really great corps. I got invited to attend only last week so was very surprised who all was going to competing. Quite the lineup for a small-ish venue and early-season show!

Edited by Rufus67
Clarification
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1