Devils Crusade(rs) and Sin Along The Rockies 23

Just now, Ediker said:

There’s definitely work to do, but they make certain to design those big moments, totally about the movement… full corps, bold sequences, in total unison, with little else going on. 

👍🏽

And for me, the big unison GE moments don't matter if even only a few members are performing their movement in a way, over and over again all season, that could lead to acute or chronic injury. That's what I'm seeing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Oh i absolutely agree on the movement front specifically — but then I also think that’s been true every year that Boston won the guard trophy anyway, so I’m undecided on what it will mean score wise. This is the year that we see BD amping up the weapons while still outdancing everyone, though, so it’s going to be very a interesting race!  

But yeah I agree with you on the movement deficit 100%. It’s why I think BD might be the top guard this year. But I still mostly think the top 4 guards will eventually be tight because it feels like Bloo and Crown really want to be better, by finals, than they were last year. You can tell that they do not want to be scoring 19.100 and 19.250 in guard come August. I think Bloo’s movement technique will get better by August. Crown’s movement technique doesn’t seem like it’s as much of a main ingredient this year, but the weapons are good enough that I think they’ll get far nevertheless. 

I have always liked BD’s movement and dance and last year I was able to see how well Bloo guard was achieving in this way. I am not qualified to judge guard but it has seemed to me that BAC’s superb guard has been rewarded with highest scores for their spectacular equipment work and that movement is rewarded less by judges, but BD’s and Bloo’s guards seem more fully integrated into the overall show and probably help their corps’ scores more in VA and GE. Artistically, I see it as a choice between athleticism and lyricism, both valid choices that could be driven by show concept and design. BTW thank you both @saxfreq1128 and @scheherazadesghost - both of you are among my teachers in better understanding and appreciating color guard.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I have always liked BD’s movement and dance and last year I was able to see how well Bloo guard was achieving in this way. I am not qualified to judge guard but it has seemed to me that BAC’s superb guard has been rewarded with highest scores for their spectacular equipment work and that movement is rewarded less by judges, but BD’s and Bloo’s guards seem more fully integrated into the overall show and probably help their corps’ scores more in VA and GE. Artistically, I see it as a choice between athleticism and lyricism, both valid choices that could be driven by show concept and design. BTW thank you both @saxfreq1128 and @scheherazadesghost - both of you are among my teachers in better understanding and appreciating color guard.

I think you're spot on about how the two distinctions fall in scoring. Risk of injury aside.

Based on my experience and observations though, I don't think most movement staffs have the training to catch and thoroughly address what I'm seeing. Most never trained beyond the college level in dance, if that, where you really get into pedagogy. (Unlike the rich training musicians get.) The exceptions being BD, historically, and Bloo cause well, they have 2 of my fellow alum in the movement staff. 😘

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

It's interesting you say that. Because I remember back in 2013 when Crown beat BD at DATR, a BD honk who no longer post here on DCP said almost exactly what you just said regarding altitude.

And this forum ate him alive.

Things I remember being said......."No excuses!!!.............. Crown won, BD lost deal with it......................Oh look, BD fans trying to justify their loss to Crown by saying they couldn't breathe................Altitude isn't an excuse as everyone has to perform in it....................Not our fault BD isn't in as good as shape as the Crown performers."

Certainly not bashing you or Crown in anyway shape or form. I am speaking more in general.

It's just interesting how a narrative can shift pending the corps we support/ root for. 

All this talk of altitude has made me recall a quote I heard years ago...

"Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Another nice high cam angle tonight 

Just now, Zeke said:

And Flo please  no funny business with the highcam..lock that thing down?

Until PC comes on then they will switch to back cam!