Calgary Stampede Showband

Now that John Meehan is the new Director of the Showband, I think there could be some changes.

https://www.dci.org/news/calgary-stampede-showband-looks-to-evolving-future-as-it-names-its-new-director

All he needs to do is convince the Calgary Stampede Foundation, who formed and funds the Showband, that getting rid of the woodwinds, would be a worthwhile venture. Here's some more information about them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-stampede-money-corporate-structure-foundation-1.4735486

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 4:36 PM, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

See “what is a bugle” argument 

Drum Corps stopped using true bugles as soon as they added the first valve.  I'm tired of hearing that old not bugles anymore argument.  the horns they use today are better quality and allow the corps to play better in tune and the blend is so much better that it allowed smaller corps to improve their sound quality enough to start moving up the ranks.

1 hour ago, bluecoats88 said:

the horns they use today are better quality and allow the corps to play better in tune and the blend is so much better that it allowed smaller corps to improve their sound quality enough to start moving up the ranks.

Can you figure out the illogical reasoning in the bolded statement?

On 7/22/2023 at 2:45 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

DCI is like the NCAA - bureaucratic inconsistency isn’t an issue for them. 

Or...perhaps we want to be welcoming to international groups. Drum corps is adjudicated differently around the world. Heck, the original Holy Name Fife and Drum Corps used Fifes. It's not all about what WE think DCI and drum corps competition should be. If DCI is to be international they have to be accomidating and respectful of international customs, styles, and rules that may be common in other nations. DCI Finals should be a celebrations of the world of drum corps but also offer some head room for other corps or bands that would love to join us in the same spirit of outdoor field performance and competition (or exhibition). 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Opti-Burr said:

Now that John Meehan is the new Director of the Showband, I think there could be some changes.

https://www.dci.org/news/calgary-stampede-showband-looks-to-evolving-future-as-it-names-its-new-director

All he needs to do is convince the Calgary Stampede Foundation, who formed and funds the Showband, that getting rid of the woodwinds, would be a worthwhile venture. Here's some more information about them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-stampede-money-corporate-structure-foundation-1.4735486

I doubt this would happen or that they would let him. That is a year-round educational music program that I doubt wants to ONLY focus on brass instruments. Now, could they move to all brass and percussion for summer only? They could but that might leave some kids out who would rather not make the change or the adjustment...and generally taking such choice away from the kids in a youth arts music program like Stampede would be frowned upon. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Or...perhaps we want to be welcoming to international groups. Drum corps is adjudicated differently around the world. Heck, the original Holy Name Fife and Drum Corps used Fifes. It's not all about what WE think DCI and drum corps competition should be. If DCI is to be international they have to be accomidating and respectful of international customs, styles, and rules that may be common in other nations. DCI Finals should be a celebrations of the world of drum corps but also offer some head room for other corps or bands that would love to join us in the same spirit of outdoor field performance and competition (or exhibition). 

So we should send an American NFL football team to a European football tournament and expect the Europeans to allow the Americans to tackle their opponents because it is Americans & that it’s what their rules allow?

Or should there be one set of rules set by the sanctioning body, and if you want to participate, you follow the rules set by the sanctioning body?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

5 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

Drum Corps stopped using true bugles as soon as they added the first valve.  I'm tired of hearing that old not bugles anymore argument.  the horns they use today are better quality and allow the corps to play better in tune and the blend is so much better that it allowed smaller corps to improve their sound quality enough to start moving up the ranks.

Depends how you define “sound quality.” I will not deny the music is often performed better today and it’s been a while since I’ve heard a corps grossly out of tune, but the volume today, even with amplification is not what it used to be, especially with smaller corps. I attended a show a few nights ago and was late arriving. I did not know a corps was on the field. I don’t think that would have been the case prior to 2000.

14 hours ago, Opti-Burr said:

I saw them in Manchester, NH the other night. They do appear to be more drum corps like than the last time I saw them. They had a variety of props, including Bluecoats-like slides and a dome similar to one Colts used a few years back. The show was excellent and enjoyable. They also featured some great woodwind solos so I’m not sure they would scrap woodwinds. 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, sanjoseDCfan said:

They will be performing in exhibition at DCI New Hampshire, this Tuesday!

They scored a 75.65 That number puts them ahead of Jersey Surf who had a 73.0 at the same show. VERY,VERY entertaining performance. they present a show designed around a children's playground.

I would not be surprised to see them make Semi-Finals on Friday!

3 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

They scored a 75.65 That number puts them ahead of Jersey Surf who had a 73.0 at the same show. VERY,VERY entertaining performance. they present a show designed around a children's playground.

I would not be surprised to see them make Semi-Finals on Friday!

Holy crap! I didn't realize they were scored on the same sheets!