Hattiesburg-er and Fries - 7.26

3 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

What do the guard people think about BD up by .3?   BAC is doing some pretty amazing book out there.

they're so good.  the part at the end of the shanty where they're in threes and throwing equipment with arms crossed in the air and every which way?.  to me, that an involuntary murder waiting to happen.  but hey, bonus GE!

• Haha 2

Also I hope that BAC member who fell (during the big backwards jazz-running drill form in the second movement) is okay!! Seems like they fell twice in a row — scary place to take a spill in this show! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Easily my favorite ballad of the season.

Yes.. Not because, but its my favorite this year too. i'd rank it in my top three ballads from BD

Edited: rather rank it in my top favorites from BD

Edited by theonlyfizzle
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

J. Missing great

Oh no!  You're right!,  J Missing showed up and they copied over the VA scores.   This result could have been tighter, since BD's new ending was rough visually.  BAC might have won visual tonite.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

What do the guard people think about BD up by .3?   BAC is doing some pretty amazing book out there.

I think some of it may have to do with staging. BAC has some big intervals a good bit, where BD is often much tighter. That’s a greater risk/reward situation because the mistakes really jump out, but when they are on, like tonight, it creates fantastic impact. It’s the most technical program they’ve ever done and it’s really starting to cook.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

I would have had the achv score closer; BD dropped a bit tonight. As for content, BAC is fantastic. I think BD is being rewarded for an added layer of dance skills that BAC probably has but doesn’t always show off in the same way. Both are fantastic though, honestly. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I think some of it may have to do with staging. BAC has some big intervals a good bit, where BD is often much tighter. That’s a greater risk/reward situation because the mistakes really jump out, but when they are on, like tonight, it creates fantastic impact. It’s the most technical program they’ve ever done and it’s really starting to cook.

I’ve heard the contrary to this; that the spread in the field makes it more difficult for timing because musically the voices being heard are very different than being in a tighter form. So the risk/reward is actually greater with the staging a larger form presents.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Oh no!  You're right!,  J Missing showed up and they copied over the VA scores.   This result could have been tighter, since BD's new ending was rough visually.  BAC might have won visual tonite.

J. Missing calls it like he sees it...

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Lance said:

they're so good.  the part at the end of the shanty where they're in threes and throwing equipment with arms crossed in the air and every which way?.  to me, that an involuntary murder waiting to happen.  but hey, bonus GE!

I'm going to date myself here but Boston actually reminds me of the second place 27th Lancers from 1980.  That 27th guard threw everything into the air but the kitchen sink, with spectacular results.

This year's Boston show is the best I've see for tosses since then.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’ve heard the contrary to this; that the spread in the field makes it more difficult for timing because musically the voices being heard are very different than being in a tighter form. So the risk/reward is actually greater with the staging a larger form presents.

IMO bd and bac guards are both pretty masterful at balancing huge spread moments with tighter feature moments and having a lot of variety in staging - they approach it differently but both design teams definitely know how to show off their range in that regard. This is why I like seeing them face off. Very very different philosophies but they both know how to show off. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 5