Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

So, here is my view on our friends from Concord.   It is true that for many years, particularly in the first decade or so since 2000 they did in fact get away with murder in terms of the visual captions.  While corps like Crown and Cadets were marching unbelievably difficult and mind blowing drill, BD was still marching around follow the leader at a medium swing tempo and winning.   I'm not criticizing them.  Quite the contrary.  They have been unbelievably effective in convincing the judging community that even though they were presenting what was, in effect, early 80s visual design, because it was them, it was creditworthy....like spending nearly half a show sitting in folding chairs.

They have recently been forced to up their visual game including guard due to stiff competition.   They still however, have a finely tuned,  well earned artistic license that no other drum corps can possess, and yes, Crown,  BAC, and Bluecoats need to be a full point better to beat them by a tenth.

Are judges being paid off? Absolutely not.   Is it true that most judges marched or taught them at some point? Most likely, no.

But BD'S skillfully crafted artistic license is such that if they simply stood in their opening set and took a poop on the turf,  most judges would applaud and say "they're making a statement on one man's journey as an homage to Matisse.....".   In contrast, if BAC did the same thing, the reaction from some judges would be..."somebody get a shovel." 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Maybe it's your rambling on an on and on.

Or maybe BD apologists are easily triggered

12 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Well I have an issue with rank then rate, but that is a whole other ball of wax. However you don't go from not beating SCV all season to all of a sudden having a perfect night with no change in content score. Jeff Prosperie is not a bad judge, but he was wrong that night and his score (along with the predictable 20 from Chumlee) caused the wrong corps to win that year.

But you are fixating on this when you haven't read the rest of the post. 

Who are you to say Prosperie was wrong? Because he isn't afraid to reward performance of the night? I'd be very careful stating that the most respected adjudicator in the activity was wrong. Especially when you aren't the one on the field being tasked to judge the very pinnacle of the activity. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

To those who think I am wrong, let BD get upset on finals night and see how that stadium will go crazy.

I am one of the biggest BD honks on this forum, and I will be in Indy next month. If BD loses, I will be jumping up and down screaming for whoever won, because they earned it fair and square no excuses. 

Of course I want BD to win, but if Bloo, Crown, or BAC wins, I will be cheering just as loud for them as I would if it was my Devils. 

And if you think the crowd would only go bonkers if BD loses, think again. Crowds will go crazy if ANYTHING shocking or surprising happens with these corps. For an example, you might wanna review the crowd response from 2014 finals night when Cadets were announced in 3rd, meaning Bloo got 2nd. Indy lost their ****

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Who are you to say Prosperie was wrong? Because he isn't afraid to reward performance of the night? I'd be very careful stating that the most respected adjudicator in the activity was wrong. Especially when you aren't the one on the field being tasked to judge the very pinnacle of the activity. 

So it's anathema to say the weirdest scoring anomaly which caused the closest 2nd place finish in history could be wrong? Who are you to say he is infallible? 

18 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I sure hope no one here is a Patriots or Tom Brady fan 

I’m not! 😂😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

I am one of the biggest BD honks on this forum, and I will be in Indy next month. If BD loses, I will be jumping up and down screaming for whoever won, because they earned it fair and square no excuses. 

Of course I want BD to win, but if Bloo, Crown, or BAC wins, I will be cheering just as loud for them as I would if it was my Devils. 

And if you think the crowd would only go bonkers if BD loses, think again. Crowds will go crazy if ANYTHING shocking or surprising happens with these corps. For an example, you might wanna review the crowd response from 2014 finals night when Cadets were announced in 3rd, meaning Bloo got 2nd. Indy lost their ****

Tilt was also universally loved by the fans and nobody liked he who shall not be named.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

I’m not! 😂😂

Me neither

• Like 1