Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

5 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Like irony, I don't think you're using that correctly. 

Yes, most things are subjective, but saying their front ensemble book is "the hardest on the field" as the other poster stated is plainly wrong. It stems from the compositional choices of their arrangers, which is incredibly consistent. BD focuses on unison work, combined with flourishing technique to convey performance effect. I've worked with both Dave and Brian and that's just their style, and it trickles down to the other groups they teach. Fast runs, sure. 4 mallet independent mechanics, sure...but there are usually only 2 or 3 voices happening, it's concentrated into a lot of unison work so they can all move together which is a priority for them. SCV on the other hand focuses on a depth of orchestration, which means more people are doing their own thing, and is more difficult to align.

It's two completely different approaches, one that prioritizes ease of cleanliness and synchronous movement, and one that prioritizes orchestration and complexity. 

I didn't say front ensemble I said they would continuously win drums which includes the battery.

Even if I gave you the point on the front ensemble, which I don't, I can assure you BDs battery book blows away the competition exponentially as far as difficulty is concerned every single year. Period.

and I like how you said you weren't trying to say BD didn't deserve any of those titles, and you recently posted that Carolina crown should've ran away with the gold in 2009. Kayla today

Edited by mboogey73

5 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Like irony, I don't think you're using that correctly. 

Yes, most things are subjective, but saying their front ensemble book is "the hardest on the field" as the other poster stated is plainly wrong. It stems from the compositional choices of their arrangers, which is incredibly consistent. BD focuses on unison work, combined with flourishing technique to convey performance effect. I've worked with both Dave and Brian and that's just their style, and it trickles down to the other groups they teach. Fast runs, sure. 4 mallet independent permutations, sure...but there are usually only 2 or 3 voices happening, it's concentrated into a lot of unison work so they can all move together which is a priority for them. SCV on the other hand focuses on a depth of orchestration, which means more people are doing their own thing, and is more difficult to align.

It's two completely different approaches, one that prioritizes ease of cleanliness and synchronous movement, and one that prioritizes orchestration and complexity. For what it's worth, even though I dislike the Rennicks business ethics, SCV has had the best pit in the activity for a WHILE. Bloo also has a great front ensemble.

Either things are subjective, or they're not. I'll wait while you make up your mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mboogey73 said:

I didn't say front ensemble I said they would continuously win drums which includes the battery.

Even if I gave you the point on the front ensemble, which I don't, I can assure you BDs battery book blows away the competition exponentially as far as difficulty is concerned every single year. Period.

Percussion is a combined caption. They haven't won, and they don't have the combined most difficult package. I admittedly know less about battery, but I know Dave, and again he focuses on clarity, not depth. 

2 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

and I like how you said you weren't trying to say BD didn't deserve any of those titles, and you recently posted that Carolina crown should've ran away with the gold in 2009. Kayla today

No, no, my friend, clearly we are too dumb to understand the term cognitive dissonance! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Either things are subjective, or they're not. I'll wait while you make up your mind. 

*Most* things are subjective, as I said. The display of required skills, and who is displaying them in their design, is objective. I'll wait while you try and process that.

FYI- the Hopper painting is simply titled “Nighthawks”.  

Dreams + Nighthawks was the name of BD’s show. 

art lesson for the day…

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Yes I probably would. Especially if the product that they are winning with is extremely niche. 

Or, you could try getting out of the house more and do some international traveling. There are fandoms your home state can only dream of. I visit Asia and Europe quite often on business and personal trips. BD shows have single handedly created a whole new DCI fandom. With JoJo, let's take that for a start, there's already a built-in fan base that extends way beyond our activity. 

Jojo has a massive built-in fanbase, rich lore to draw from and the fantastical nature of the franchise means it has visuals and story potential ideal for a full DCI show. By focusing on the right properties, DCI can build momentum with passionate fans and find international success again.

Do your fans do this?

Or gets this many views? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtzvlXL9gXk
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nX0qlsk7xHg

• Thanks 3

I do think think my impression of BD this year changed last night.  I had thought they were going to run through it this year, but they had some performance issues and a general lack of impact that was a little shocking.  But, everyone gets the right to have an "off" night.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Please … black flies in my Pino Gris … Chardonnay is a bit heavy for the heat of summer 

I have Flosé. It’s just regular Rosé but consumed primarily to try and forget all the Flo issues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2