Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

12 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

I do think think my impression of BD this year changed last night.  I had thought they were going to run through it this year, but they had some performance issues and a general lack of impact that was a little shocking.  But, everyone gets the right to have an "off" night.  

Was that based off of the Flo stream? Because yeah, I can understand this. But based off of a couple other videos from last night, BD sounded great and the crowd was very hype. I am skeptical of Flo’s representation of any show from any corps really. The balance of sound isn’t accurately represented and they have the potential, by chance, to highlight mistakes on multi-cam. 

50 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Staging is the MAIN aspect of the poles, chairs, mirrors, houses, platforms, cones, circles, jungle gyms, ramps, ladders whatever. They frame the field, they create featured staging, they add height dimension in one way or another, and they are moved around the change the viewing aspect of the field. Yes each of these items does this in a different way, but to say that the chairs are giant leap forward from the poles because you could stand on them, vs picking them up to create height, is absolutely silly. They still were placed around the field in different orientations, they still moved through the corps, they still created a box on the ground that the corps marched through as a box, they still created shifting boundaries on the field. The most important aspect of them, was the same. 

There is nothing about the banquet chairs in 1930 that was a giant leap forward from anything else, and you insisting that there was is just....kind of ignorant. Or at least in bad faith. Honestly can't tell which at this point, so feel free to pick. 

Okay. 😊 BD 2009 chairs not innovative because they accomplished same thing as 2008 poles - got it. Crown 2009 is innovative even though their show was also modeled on what they did year before and largely reflects drum corps trends to that point - got it. Lasting impact of BD props overstated even though dynamic use of props would become the norm for the entire activity - got it. Anything else?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Okay. 😊 BD 2009 chairs not innovative because they accomplished same thing as 2008 poles - got it. Crown 2009 is innovative even though their show was also modeled on what they did year before and largely reflects drum corps trends to that point - got it. Lasting impact of BD props overstated even though dynamic use of props would become the norm for the entire activity - got it. Anything else?  

Wait till they hear about what Crown 2010 was 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Rylan said:

Was that based off of the Flo stream? Because yeah, I can understand this. But based off of a couple other videos from last night, BD sounded great and the crowd was very hype. I am skeptical of Flo’s representation of any show from any corps really. The balance of sound isn’t accurately represented and they have the potential, by chance, to highlight mistakes on multi-cam. 

Yes it was.  That is why I used the "off" line.  I will always wait until I see something live to make a decision on a show (except for Phatom's virtual non movement while playing thing that is self evident online)  😆.   I still say it is a curse that I actually like BD this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Staging is the MAIN aspect of the poles, chairs, mirrors, houses, platforms, cones, circles, jungle gyms, ramps, ladders whatever. They frame the field, they create featured staging, they add height dimension in one way or another, and they are moved around the change the viewing aspect of the field. Yes each of these items does this in a different way, but to say that the chairs are giant leap forward from the poles because you could stand on them, vs picking them up to create height, is absolutely silly. They still were placed around the field in different orientations, they still moved through the corps, they still created a box on the ground that the corps marched through as a box, they still created shifting boundaries on the field. The most important aspect of them, was the same. 

There is nothing about the banquet chairs in 1930 that was a giant leap forward from anything else, and you insisting that there was is just....kind of ignorant. Or at least in bad faith. Honestly can't tell which at this point, so feel free to pick. 

There are three types of shows that win. The innovative shows, the masterful shows, and the shows that are both. 1930 was a masterful show. BD 2014 was both. BD 15 was masterful. BD 22 was masterful. Cavaliers 2002 was a masterful show. Cavaliers 06 was both. Cadets 11 was both. Bluecoats 16 was an innovative show. SCV 18 was both. 

No, the chairs weren’t necessarily “innovative”. But the show was masterful. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

There are three types of shows that win. The innovative shows, the masterful shows, and the shows that are both. 1930 was a masterful show. BD 2014 was both. BD 15 was masterful. BD 22 was masterful. Cavaliers 2002 was a masterful show. Cavaliers 06 was both. Cadets 11 was both. Bluecoats 16 was an innovative show. SCV 18 was both. 

No, the chairs weren’t necessarily “innovative”. But the show was masterful. 

Wrong. There are two types of shows that win... BD and not BD. 😂

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, GraysonHarris said:

How often are you going to let us know that you know Dave?

Appeal to authority fallacy