MURFREESBORO MASHUP JULY 28

always enjoy Phantom shows.  Musically, they usually connect with me.  Not sure I care much for their uniforms this year (especially the snorkle hats), but otherwise they remain one of my favorite corps.

Phantom is just really solid this year.  I see them ahead of Cadets tonight because PR was much cleaner in visual and brass.

Phantom Regiment
- Love the tarps layout
- big opening brass hit - very full sound
- the year of the great baritone soloist continues with Phantom as well, and trombone too, very aggessive
- not sure I like the body moves when they run to the front. They lose some control in brass
- this second movement is classic phantom. The chords, the sound, the power
- maybe too many body moves in position where the forms become somewhat stagnant in the 3rd movement
- percussion did a nice job in that section though. Good writing. Needs cleaned. 
- Love the use of piano here as they lead into the ballad. The effect of the brass and battery just disappearing into the white tarps is excellent 
- Nice dynamic contrast as they lead into the big hit. Visually this part of the show is very strong. Clean, easy to focus on what matters, very effective
- props moved so effectively as they go into movement 5 by the guard
- love those silks, love the company front that eventually wings out. The music is fantastic here. 
- Tubas sound amazing at the end. 
- This is one fun show. Not much to complain about. Phantom has definitely brought a fun and engaging show to the field this summer.
- To me they may have Cadets beat by 1 point or more tonight. Phantom's visual is much cleaner and easier to read. The show is more polished. This was really the perfect vehicle for Phantom this year. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

the grumpy old man rants continue…

Felt like SCV. good energy. Visuals are too compact. Guard’s gonna hold them back. 

TBF, one could make a pretty decent argument that SCV has just felt like Phantom for the past decade

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bluesman said:

Phantom is just really solid this year.  I see them ahead of Cadets tonight because PR was much cleaner in visual and brass.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Cadets learned and focused on a new ending this week.  Phantom looks like San Antonio Phantom to me. Not a knock,  it's a great show.

• Like 2