NightBEAT 34 - July 30th, 2023

5 hours ago, Rylan said:

At first this part annoyed me too until I looked into it some more. That was the speech Charles de Gaulle gave when surrendering the French army during WWII. This part of the show is supposed to be chaotic with sounds of sirens, bombs, and with the battery playing sounds of artillery. This was a moment in Matisse’s life where he had a lot of internal conflict, not only with France’s surrender, as he was very patriotic, but also his decreasing ability to create art the way he always had due to his illness. This segues into the ballad “Both Sides Now” which is staged so that there are two sides to his life at this point - his old life of being a famous painter in peaceful France versus his new life of being a bed-ridden artist in wartime France. 

With all those things considered, I think BD does an absolutely beautiful job of representing this through both of those movements. After doing the research, the Charles de Gaulle speech/battery feature has now become one of my favorite parts of the show! 

That’s awesome to learn! Do you have a translation of the speech, perchance? 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Watching the replay tonight. 

During the Mandarins show, 2 horns bumped into each other while the red team and white team were running through the spinners. Oops!

• Sad 1

"How small a thought it takes to fill a whole life."

The few. The proud. The marimbas

8 hours ago, gjramsey said:

Sorry, i don't feel like I need to do research to enjoy a show or movements in a show.

And I agree with you, a show should be accessible enough to be enjoyed first time out without a playbook.  However...

You and I and everyone posting here are not the average drum corps fans.  We are the 1%ers who will research the theme to some shows because our reaction to shows goes well beyond "I liked that song and it was loud."

After a fan like us watches a show a few times there is a very good chance we will get bored and wonder out loud on DCP "is there something more?"  I've been exposed to a lot of jazz and classical music thanks to drum corps as I find the original pieces.  You know the list, and it has enriched my life as I'm sure it has yours.

Did you know what a Matisse star was before the Blue Devils show this year?  I didn't.  I didn't even know who the guy was.  But now I do.

Now that I've seen BD's production it will not inspire me to go out and buy Matisse's artwork, but I feel like I enjoyed something in and of itself by watching the show and I learned something about art and history that I never knew. 

That's what keeps me coming back to DCP to dig deeper, because I want to learn as I enjoy the show at a deeper level.  You guys make that happen for me, and I thank you.  You've added to the richness of my life.

Now if I could only figure out the difference between the GE1 and GE2 captions...

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

…We are the 1%ers who will research the theme to some shows because our reaction to shows goes well beyond "I liked that song and it was loud…”

I am definitely the person who researches…when it comes to drum corps. But only if I want to view that particular show with a deeper meaning. It makes the entire summer more of a journey for me as a fan.

However, I am also that guy that goes to museums and enjoys all the pretty pictures in half an hour. A friend of mine, who went with me to the Louvre recently, wanted to read every single placard for every art piece. It was killing me. 

So I guess I get “both sides” of the argument. 😜

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rylan said:

I am definitely the person who researches…when it comes to drum corps. But only if I want to view that particular show with a deeper meaning. It makes the entire summer more of a journey for me as a fan.

However, I am also that guy that goes to museums and enjoys all the pretty pictures in half an hour. A friend of mine, who went with me to the Louvre recently, wanted to read every single placard for every art piece. It was killing me. 

Now? 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, KVG_DC said:
22 hours ago, Rylan said:

Now? 

We have  such a special relationship on this forum and know each other so well that we complete each others...

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

We have  such a special relationship on this forum and know each other so well that we complete each others...

It’s taking all my strength not to finish this…

• Haha 1