Allentown uh-oh

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

When I marched, the East show was in Philly... it was awkward.  There was a sense of doom throughout the 'lot' warm-up (which took place in a sketchy overgrown embankment under an overpass).  We did not find Jimmy Hoffa... but we were fairly certain he was there.

As a Rochesterian, I can confirm that Buffalo is a far better venue... but also a very poor drumcorps atmosphere in both towns.  For a state with so many historical drumcorps,  NY does NOT know the activity like folks in Pa or Oh do.  The vibe of the event would be totally dependent on traveling fans, and the venue staff would be pushing popcorn and peanuts loudly during every balad.  The Buffalo show was always a real drag, with few fans and mostly intrigued locals.  Buffalo does have a couple of nice stadiums though, and Highmark (formerly Ralph Wilson) Stadium has a ton of space and nearby housing for corps.

I mean, if it were in Rochester...I'd go and wear my Rhino's jersey (pour one out for the Rochester Rhinos)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I don’t get it it was mentioned in this original post that Allentown  has some issues with some seats, and now everyone  is relocating Allentown everywhere   in the world, maybe someone will suggest the moon.  The stadium was refurbished and from my eyes it’s mostly in good shape.   so let’s just fix things that we need to  and continuing having a great show at the most historic stop on the tour 😊
individual corps  do fund drives all the time why can’t we have one for the Allentown stadium? 

I hope they do fix the stadium and I have never had a big problem with J Birney in Allentown, but I don't have a problem with people posting new ideas for DCI East in the future. I think DCI should always keep their options open.  I know there is history to Allentown but I am personally not married to it. So to me the discussion is fine. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I hope they do fix the stadium and I have never had a big problem with J Birney in Allentown, but I don't have a problem with people posting new ideas for DCI East in the future. I think DCI should always keep their options open.  I know there is history to Allentown but I am personally not married to it. So to me the discussion is fine. 

When something has a history, but its historical value isn’t keeping up with needs to service the corps and customers, it’s time to consider alternatives.  Allentown worked years ago before corps had the equipment and programs that require improved logistics.  Maybe it simply doesn’t work as well any longer.  It is deteriorating, aging.  Its infrastructure needs rehabbing. Finals moved from a rotational formula because it works better at LOS (although arguably).  Manning Bowl was demo’d.  Other stadiums just don’t work and you move on.  Maybe it is time to explore other options. 

• Like 2

I'd hate to see Allentown go from the schedule. My first time there - I was 20 in 1985. My friend and I took time off of our summer jobs and drove from Boston in my '79 Honda Accord. We stayed at the George Washington Motor Lodge back then. I remember arriving at the stadium at 7am and sprinting up the hill to get seats at the top of the concrete section on the 50. We baked in the sun there all day. Luckily as I approach 60, no skin issues to address. LOL But those were magical times for me back then - and the highlights of my summers throughout the rest of my life.

As I've gotten older, however, I've become less happy about worrying about the weather. Maybe all of the big regionals should be in domes? With the heat levels expected to rise, maybe SanAntonio, Atlanta, the East show and of course finals ought to be indoors. Not just for the reliability of the schedule, but also for the health of the kids. 

Just a thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GlenI said:

I'd hate to see Allentown go from the schedule. My first time there - I was 20 in 1985. My friend and I took time off of our summer jobs and drove from Boston in my '79 Honda Accord. We stayed at the George Washington Motor Lodge back then. I remember arriving at the stadium at 7am and sprinting up the hill to get seats at the top of the concrete section on the 50. We baked in the sun there all day. Luckily as I approach 60, no skin issues to address. LOL But those were magical times for me back then - and the highlights of my summers throughout the rest of my life.

As I've gotten older, however, I've become less happy about worrying about the weather. Maybe all of the big regionals should be in domes? With the heat levels expected to rise, maybe SanAntonio, Atlanta, the East show and of course finals ought to be indoors. Not just for the reliability of the schedule, but also for the health of the kids. 

Just a thought...

I've been going to the Easts since late 80's.

Love Allenton.

But it may be time for a change.

Poor Parking

Not enough bathrooms

Limited concessions with long lines

Plus, if they move they move the Market Place permanently and

have the same issues with food vendors they're having this year,

that just makes things worse.

A dome would be nice.

But the only option is Syracuse.

Too many issues there to even consider.

Even if the Easts stay in Allentown, the "elephant in the room  will always be corps housing and practice sites .

That situation is going to keep getting more and more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never had an issue with parking since I've been going to Allentown in the late 80's. I always come down Hamilton and go up one of the steep streets across from the park (up by Youell's Oyster House) and have never had an issue in all those years. Is it because of the steepness of the roads and it not being "super close" that people say the parking is bad? I am literally parking within a block of the same spot every single year with no issues ever.

• Like 2

Glennl and rpbobcat make very good points.

For personal reasons, I would be saddened to see this event leave Allentown. However, I’m pretty certain some sort of annual drum corps show will replace it.  As, jwillis35  states, there is nothing wrong with discussing such a move now.

Problem is, the only domed facility capable of hosting this, throughout the entire Northeast Region states, is Syracuse.  Been there several times for events. The logistics of operating there are really problematic. Most everyone is school-bused into that place from remote satellite lots. All corps support vehicles will have problems close in, for sure. Sideline room is very small and acoustics not so hot. Upper level seating is quite steep, a little scary actually.

Yes, Allentown has many flaws, but the alternative is most likely somewhere outdoors, at least for the next 3-5 years. 

Edited by Fred Windish

1 minute ago, Fred Windish said:

Glennl and rpbobcat make very good points.

For personal reasons, I would be saddened to see this event leave Allentown. However, I’m pretty certain some sort of annual drum corps show will replace it.  As, jwillis35  states, there is nothing wrong with discussing such a move now.

Problem is, the only domed facility capable of hosting this, throughout the entire Northeast Region states, is Syracuse.  Been there several times for events. The logistics of operating there are really problematic. Most everyone is school-bused into that place from remote satellite lots. All corps support vehicles will have problems close in, for sure. Sideline room is very small and acoustics not so hot.

Yes, Allentown has many flaws, but the alternative is most likely somewhere outdoors, at least for the next 3-5 years. 

Not an alumni and have never marched there but 2010 was when I first saw Blue Devils live. Have been enamored by their show design ever since.

56 minutes ago, frachel said:

I've never had an issue with parking since I've been going to Allentown in the late 80's. I always come down Hamilton and go up one of the steep streets across from the park (up by Youell's Oyster House) and have never had an issue in all those years. Is it because of the steepness of the roads and it not being "super close" that people say the parking is bad? I am literally parking within a block of the same spot every single year with no issues ever.

As I posted, been going to the Easts sine the late 80's.

Unfortunately, have to break our streak this year.

My wife and I always park on N 19th street.

Pretty much the same spot every year.

Problem is ,you have to get there early to get a space ,especially 

Saturday.

We're usually there by 5:30 and tailgate.

We're both in good shape, but going up and down the hills

does a number on your calves.

as has been stated, the issue is with the supply chain for new benches, Nothing ASD or DCI can do about that. Its an issue with many things nationwide.  I would sincerely doubt the venue ever changes unless there is a rift in the long standing relationship between ASD and DCI and the city itself.