Allentown uh-oh

Does anyone know how may seats to the Easts are actually sold ?

Seems like a lot of the lower bowl are always empty.

Depending of the number of seats that are actually used, what about

Lehigh's Stadium?

Its right down the road.

Could probably use a lot of the same DCI volunteers.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tim K said:

It’s possible the school district does not see the revenue from renting the stadium. In many cases, the revenue from renting school facilities goes directly to the city or municipalities that own the district. That’s the case in Massachusetts and Connecticut and a big reason why many schools have no problem renting fields to drum corps but not offering their facilities for overnight stays. Not only is it a major hassle, the school does not see the revenue.

No the district gets it.  East is the only event that stretches that facility to its limits.  Frankly I’d charge DCI more just for the upkeep.  

Edited by karuna

The town of Easton, PA is not far from Allentown. It sits right on the PA-NJ border on the Deleware River. Gorgeous place. The stadium at Lafayette College is amazing with incredible scenery. More than big enough and likely it is larger than J. Birney Crum. Warm-up areas may be a challenge, but housing for fans and corps would not because you are so central to Allentown and Bethlehem. 

Fisher-Stadium_Kirby-Sports-Center.jpg

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6

Ok here is an outside-the-box idea.  
Cary Field/Zable Stadium at College of William & Mary in Williamsburg VA.  Easy access to interstate (I-64).  Plenty of parking in the area.  All kinds of cool stuff to see Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Yorktown, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA.   Many walkable food places (college town - cheap). Plenty of hotel rooms. 

And, as a bonus, I will host a DCP cookout in my backyard.  

• Like 5

I have no idea about the extent of seating damage at Allentown. I can tell you, the Allentown stadium has roughly 14,500 seats on what is usually called Concert Side. However, about 4000 of those seats are in the sections that round around past the goal line.

There HAS been a problem there with younger audiences jumping up and down on the aluminum plank bench seats.  Each damaged plank seats about 8 spectators. The miscreants also enjoy peeling off the seat numbers which are really just small tape squares. Couple years ago, I went around with a black permanent marker and hand numbered at least 200 seats with their original numbers peeled off.  At that time, I noticed, maybe 12 seating planks that were bent down by stomping.  The School District has been aware of this problem for at least 5 years, but has done nothing.

The Allentown stadium only draws a large crowd for the annual free fireworks show, the DCI Event, and somewhat big College Band Festival. Other uses are school football games that draw only 2-3 thousand fans.  Individually marked Reserved Seating is only required for DCI and maybe the College Band show.  Honestly, the School District has little need for such a stadium, other than for DCI.  

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok here is an outside-the-box idea.  
Cary Field/Zable Stadium at College of William & Mary in Williamsburg VA.  Easy access to interstate (I-64).  Plenty of parking in the area.  All kinds of cool stuff to see Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Yorktown, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA.   Many walkable food places (college town - cheap). Plenty of hotel rooms. 

And, as a bonus, I will host a DCP cookout in my backyard.  

Just looked that one up. That is a super nice stadium at William & Mary. Pretty area too. I think like @Tim K mentioned, some people may not like that much of a move (South) because you are technically now in the Mid-Atlantic region and not really the East. I mean, a good site is a good site, but I know some would like to keep DCI East in the East. There really are options for DCI if they ultimately decide to pull the plug on Allentown, PA. Lafayette College is not far up the road. Even the University of PA in Philly could be an option, especially if you still run it as a 2-day event. Talk about a historical site for DCI. 

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Just looked that one up. That is a super nice stadium at William & Mary. Pretty area too. I think like @Tim K mentioned, some people may not like that much of a move (South) because you are technically now in the Mid-Atlantic region and not really the East. I mean, a good site is a good site, but I know some would like to keep DCI East in the East. There really are options for DCI if they ultimately decide to pull the plug on Allentown, PA. Lafayette College is not far up the road. Even the University of PA in Philly could be an option, especially if you still run it as a 2-day event. Talk about a historical site for DCI. 

Chesapeake Bay / Atlantic Ocean is less than 10 miles away.  Don’t get more east than that. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Chesapeake Bay / Atlantic Ocean is less than 10 miles away.  Don’t get more east than that. 

It seems people are not recognizing there is a difference between East and Northeast. 🤪