I will not be outdone by other Drum Corps Internet Trolls (I own VMAPA.org)

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Serious question here - when did things start to go sideways at SCV?  Was it immediately after GR retired?  That’s 30+ years so I hope that’s not the answer. Was it when they brought JF in?  Just wondering how long developing this mess has been. 

Probably when there was a new director every year then covid 

5 hours ago, DSpruce said:

Thanks, actually do appreciate it. Was reacting to the threatened action emotionally and not an experienced DCp person

This is an incredibly emotional charged subject.  Those are usually difficult to navigate since those involved have a strong personal investment in the outcome.

My role in the drum corps world is I buy a ticket and sit in the seats.  It's much easier in my case to observe in a neutral fashion because I don't have a dog in the fight. 

I really do wish you well and the others involved in trying to make sense of what I think both sides would agree has become a huge mess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Ah, I used the wrong acronym, following another poster here. I was trying to say "Terms of Use,"

Probably my fault.  Without looking it up I use the generic TOS (terms of service) or Terms and Conditions which typically address a poster's behavior on the site.

Blue Devils used to have a discussion board, now discontinued since Facebook became the social medium of choice.  They had three rules, more guidelines than rules which worked very well in my view.

1.  No discussion of politics or religion

2.  No profanity

3.  Be nice

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Probably my fault.  Without looking it up I use the generic TOS (terms of service) or Terms and Conditions which typically address a poster's behavior on the site.

Blue Devils used to have a discussion board, now discontinued since Facebook became the social medium of choice.  They had three rules, more guidelines than rules which worked very well in my view.

1.  No discussion of politics or religion

2.  No profanity

3.  Be nice

Totally no biggie. I knew what you meant, just wanted to make sure I was referencing everything accurately.

I could share examples of other private Vanguard-affiliated FB pages' rules (functioning and defunct) but I'd be breaching consent to do so. Most of them emphasize not sharing anything said there publicly, even with other alum. Seems risky to me, and although that's their right, it ignores the simple fact that anything anyone puts on the internet can be copied and used against them at a later time. See examples from JONZ Showcase ****ers and the former CEO, current CFO, and former Cadet corps director.

Also, Vanguard alum have been at each other's throats for years, seemingly unable to garner mutual trust broadly. Y'all're just now catching a more public glimpse of it. I've experienced it in almost every interaction near the center of the org as a member and as an alum/stakeholder. Fortunately, my interactions with some other alum, further away, have been quite refreshing and cathartic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DSpruce said:

Kind of a bickering family dynamic and a lot of love*

*A lot of love only available to some alum.

I determined not to look to this drum corps (or companies I work at) for a family dynamic a long time ago. It's actually a giant red flag for mistreatment in my experience.

Glad some of you get that though, I suppose. We all need it from somewhere.