Going to prelims for the first time, I have noobie questions!

Didn't the stadium go cashless last year?

You can re-enter. You need a stamp to do so.

As for hats, be conscious of the people behind you. One year the guy in front of me had on some sort of a safari hat that blocked my view of all but the corners of the field. Fortunately he was sympathetic and nice and after I asked. He went hatless after that initial corps. Still don't know what they looked like!

• Like 1

One of things I like the most is getting there at the start of prelims. Most folks aren’t there and you can pretty much sit anywhere you want. It’s fun getting different perspectives from various locations in the stands. Feels like you have the place to yourself. 
Seeing those early corps is a real treat. Small but passionate about what they do. And, seeing the early corps is most likely the only time seeing them. The big corps are great, but by now, there’s not many surprises in what they do on the field. 

Going early is also a great opportunity to mill around at the various booths. Grab some give-always, buy stuff, and enjoy all the marching related displays. 

Then, since you’re there early, you’re going to have a good appetite before you know it. Be sure to take the short walk to Shapiros and treat yourself to some of the best corned beef you’ll get anywhere. Be prepared to spend a little more than you typically might spend for lunch, because by the time you make it through the cafeteria line, your tray will be loaded with all kinds of delicious things that will grab your eye. Another cool thing about Shapiros is it will be filled with drum corps nuts like us. 

Enjoy the day. It truly is a gem!

Prelims is the best day of championships!!!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1) For entry on Thursday, might want to camp out Wednesday night at the East Gate on S Capitol Ave. 

2) You'll need to take out a 2nd mortgage for Lucas Oil food & drink.  Might try a HELOC?

3) I try to 'void' early & often. 

4) You'll have to leave your 'missile like objects' at the hotel or in your car. 

5) If someone is in your seat & there's no staff, just punch them; ask questions & sort it out later.

:spitting:I kid... But DCI use to run a shuttle bus to Military Park every 30 minutes.   

• Haha 1

You can leave and return with a hand stamp.

I always eat at Shapiro's Deli on E. McCarthy Street. It's SE of the stadium and within walking distance.

There's  Greek Islands, Iozzo's Garden of Italy, White Castle (ick), Arby's, Slippery Noodle Inn, Subway, Old Spaghetti Factory, and a few other things not too far away.

Wear a hat. The food inside the venue is terrible and the lines are long. The elevator attendents range from snarky and unhelpful, to just indifferent and uncaring.

Be on the lookout for self-entitled staff who think they own the joint.   THEY DON'T. Be courteous, but don't expect the same in return.

Edited by jjeffeory

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

but I have never had issues or missed corps on Thursday due to concessions issues.

I went Friday Saturday last year.  I think I waited on Friday for about a half-hour to get a drink and a french fry.  8-10 bucks I think, it might have been more.  I learned my lesson and on Saturday I ate before entered the stadium.  They have water fountains for free.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I went Friday Saturday last year.  I think I waited on Friday for about a half-hour to get a drink and a french fry.  8-10 bucks I think, it might have been more.  I learned my lesson and on Saturday I ate before entered the stadium.  They have water fountains for free.

Yep. Food concessions inside of LOS pricey and nothing special. I have snuck some of that great corned beef sandwich I’ve mentioned from Shapiros. Usually my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I’ll have leftovers from Shapiros. Yes, I’ve gotten past security at the gate with it. Just don’t advertise that you’re bringing food and you’ll probably be okay. 

if you are still around on Saturday

Coming to Indy on Saturday August 12th.
More than 2000 performers
Fourteen SoundSport ensembles
Eleven Indiana high school bands
Seven drum lines including five open class corps drum lines
INpact Band with 500+ Indiana middle schools band students
Troopers Legacy Corps
Hong Kong Drumline
Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps
US Army Fife & Drum Corps
"DCI's Got Talent" featuring talented and creative performers
History Row featuring current and past drum corps displays
Founders Lane honoring the 13 founding corps of DCI
Many food trucks offering a variety of menus
Exhibitors including drum corps, businesses, and services
DCI marketplace is open in the stadium for exclusive early opportunity to purchase your favorite drum corps merch
The event is in front of Lucas Oil Stadium from 10am-4pm