Whale Watching Tour Lawrence, MA August 3, 2023 (DCI East Coast Show Case)

I was in Lawrence tonight, I was impressed with Boston Crusaders (no surprise). I last saw them in early July. While there are more additions to the show, I think the improvements come from the strengthened nuances in the show. Cases in point the sea chanties were better performed, had life, and added humor to the show. The Dropkick Murphy’s piece was in your face. “Thomas Tallis” had more power.

Regarding Bluecoats, I was also in Glassboro last night. Even though the score was lower tonight, I thought they were stronger in Lawrence. Glassboro was a good run, no question, but the show got off to a slower start. Lawrence was on fire from start to finish.

I was surprised it was Mandarins over Phantom but the two being so close was not a surprise.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, spacewill said:

Not true, I 100% know what GE means.  It means that whenever my kids band is in a competition that my heart rate will go up 120% because of not having a clue what their GE score will be!

Hit it on the nose 10.0

7 hours ago, Den8uml said:

IMG-4994.jpg

Thanks for all the pics last night, great job

• Like 4

Watched the show from the top row last night.  Some corps still overdoing the amping.  It was hard to tell, but, some distortion in brass sounds could also have been a factor of the winds, which increased and abated through the entire show,  A few random thoughts.  Phantom’s leg kick at the very end, coming in the tight circle of horns up front loses effect.  We will see how it looks with the tarps back.  Phantom seemed cleaner than Mandarins, so I was surprised when Mandarins passed them.  As others have mentioned, Phantom’s brass was loud and sounded very good.  Not a fan of the sound of the Mandarins brass.  Could have been affected by the extreme loudness of their  amps and the wind.  I may have a different opinion in Indy.  Must say, however, that they have a modern, fast paced  drill, and they perform it with enthusiasm.    I could not get into the Bluecoats show on Flo, but I loved it here.  Their guard had problems not seen in past Flo performances.  As others have mentioned, Boston was super clean all around and sounded wonderful.  Lower voices, especially, were fabulous.  I think that if Bluecoats can clean, clean, clean, they will pass Boston.  In conclusion, this was a well run show by the Boston organization, which we have come to expect and appreciate.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Den8uml said:

IMG-4989.jpg2. Not sure I like the new BAC sh  ow and ending; killing the whale then picking her up but I love the rest of their show so I guess it’s all good.     

Wonder if the Macy's Parade organization has a helium whale that the Crusaders could borrow.  Imagine a whale balloon entering from an exit tunnel near the ending of the show.  PR used the tunnel effect in 2010 very well.

• Like 1