Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

Why is it that so many corps skipped Atlanta anyways. Has anyone figured that out?

6 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

I read that sentence about the cities/events but I did not see the number 4 anywhere.

I interpret that the intent was to average 3 numerical score each one week apart. Using 2 numbers weighted equally from the same weekend would devalue San Antonio and Allentown.

Order of appearance at the DCI World Championship Prelims (August 10 in Indianapolis) will be based on the reverse order of finish of scores averaged from events in San Antonio, Atlanta, Winston-Salem, and Allentown. Open Class participants will be seeded in the first blocks of performing corps based on reverse order of finish from Open Class Championship events. In the event a corps is not scheduled to appear in a major regional event, their last score received prior to that regional event will be used for averaging purposes.

based on the reverse order of finish of scores averaged from events in San Antonio, Atlanta, Winston-Salem, and Allentown. - Based on 4 events- San Antonio, Atlanta, Winston-Salem & Allentown

In the event a corps is not scheduled to appear in a major regional event, their last score received prior to that regional event will be used for averaging purposes. -  Using Boston as an example (there were others too)....They were not at W/S. So this says you use their last score (which was Atlanta) for averaging purposes.

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 2

Just now, jasgre2000 said:

Why is it that so many corps skipped Atlanta anyways. Has anyone figured that out?

Just logistics. They did the same thing last year. The top 4 or so (from the previous year) performed at both shows. The rest were split between the 2 shows (ATL and NightBEAT).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

based on the reverse order of finish of scores averaged from events in San Antonio, Atlanta, Winston-Salem, and Allentown. - Based on 4 events- San Antonio, Atlanta, Winston-Salem & Allentown

In the event a corps is not scheduled to appear in a major regional event, their last score received prior to that regional event will be used for averaging purposes. -  Using Boston as an example (there were others too)....They were not at W/S. So this says you use their last score (which was Atlanta) for averaging purposes.

The problem is the difference in interpreting "major regional event." As of 2022, I (and apparently many others) would argue that DCI Southeastern and W/S are treated as ONE major regional event, not two separate major events. This is where DCI isn't clear in their article.

2 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

So, that darn 92.05 was what the Crusaders received for two shows in a row, plus Night Beat as well, for three in a row.   

3 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

Just logistics. They did the same thing last year. The top 4 or so (from the previous year) performed at both shows. The rest were split between the 2 shows (ATL and NightBEAT).

That venue in ATL is a logisitcal nightmare; the Cadets could not get their food truck in the parking lot due to a crazy bump at the entrance to the lot. They had to park far away from the buses. I watched several rigs and buses attempt to clear the bump and almost get stuck in the attempt. 

8 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

I agree with the first paragraph completely.

My interpretation of the second part is that W/S is not a "major regional event."

Here is how I interpreted it in my spreadsheet:

There were only 4 corps that performed at both shows last weekend. Those 4 corps got 4 scores averaged for prelim placements. Everyone else got the score they got that weekend (either ATL or W/S), plus SA and Allentown. Jersey Surf didn't participate at S.A., so I gave them the score they got in a different event on that same day (using the previous day's event score would not have changed their placement, so feel free to use either one).

Agree, the DCI statement is still quite ambiguous.

Edited by Precious Roy
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, brassboy said:

The problem is the difference in interpreting "major regional event." As of 2022, I (and apparently many others) would argue that DCI Southeastern and W/S are treated as ONE major regional event, not two separate major events. This is where DCI isn't clear in their article.

My thinking is as follows: If they were treating Atlanta and W/S as one event, they wouldn’t have spelled them out separately as one of 4 events in the first sentence. To me it’s clear the next sentence is referring to the previous relevant sentence when mentioning 4 events.

38 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Interesting that Crown is ahead of BAC. Didn't BAC beat them in 3 of the 4 shows?

I was thinking the same with the Mandarins and Phantom. 

PR hasn't beaten Mandarins all season. 

• Like 2