Still Crum-bling on the hill in Allentown - August 5, 2023

5 minutes ago, Maleguena1988 said:

So, the rankings on DCI.org mean nothing to performance order next week?

After Thursday, the Regional scores/placements are irrelevant, unless you subscribe to the theory that not performing directly before/after your direct competitor is harmful to your Prelims scoring.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

There are also fewer negative elements in shows as they change, layer and clean.  More complexities begin to emerge, More differences become clearer as do similarities. Captions tighten, true strengths appear,  allowing judges to discern differences and evaluate comparatively. A half a tenth at this point may have been a few or more tenths a month ago. Box 4 is now box 5 in all captions.

It’s no doubt a combination of performance quality and scoring methodology. To draw Conclusions without accepting both ignores the nature of this unique style of competition. 

The big thing for me is not understanding the baked in end game reality of a max-100 score, coupled with a hard ending date. Scores HAVE to get tighter. There is literally no other way to score the event.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 90svet said:

After Thursday, the Regional scores/placements are irrelevant, unless you subscribe to the theory that not performing directly before/after your direct competitor is harmful to your Prelims scoring.

I think it is relevant, but probably not much. Being pushed to another “box” definitely does have an impact IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

As explained to you by another poster: Atown is same judges in the same positions, 2 days in a row.  The judges are quite capable of viewing, ranking and rating effectively over the two shows.  No one has had a rehearsal advantage in those last couple of days. But keep resisting.  ALL other shows have different judging panels judging on different night in different sites, other than Indy.

As we have tried to explain to you, it doesn’t matter what DCI’s official line is. You cannot compare scores on two different nights period. 

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

As we have tried to explain to you, it doesn’t matter what DCI’s official line is. You cannot compare scores on two different nights period. 

If DCI says we can...and you say we can't, who are we to believe?

The governing body?

Or the fan behind the keyboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NewArpege said:

I hope next weekend is full of flipping between the top 4. It’d be great for it all to be up in the air each night. 

I hope that as well. It would be so fun to see them flip-flopping from Thursday to Saturday night. It would make for a really exciting finals night. It really isn’t that exciting in years were one corps is the clear winner. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

The governing body?

Is it possible if BD and Bluecoats performed last night they could have scored 97 or 96? Yes. Is it possible they could have scored a 95 and 94? Yes. Both possibilities exist, but we’ll never know because they weren’t there last night.

Edited by Vuitton

15 hours ago, postertrout said:

Very much so! He might play 3rd split trumpet, but that 3rd split is just as important as 1st and 2nd. He is in the trumpet arc in the closer, so he does make me proud, since he was always apprehensive to audition for a small ensemble. 

This is fantastic. Everyone in Cadets is contributing at a high level this season. And completely awesome that he challenged himself to audition and made the arc. It is a great kickoff to the closer, and that experience with different levels of individual responsibility as part of a team is a wonderful learning experience for a young person. Congrstulations!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

The governing body?

Not challenging you, but if the scores are comparable between the two nights, does that mean Allentown is the only show where judges can't go back and change their individual caption scores once everyone has performed?

I say that because I learned earlier this season judges now have that capability to do that. For example.......Corps A performs first and gets an 18.5 in brass, Corps B goes last, judge feels Corps A was better in brass and he can now go back and change their initial brass score he had given them earlier in the evening.

But with night one's scores in the books, do the judges resort back to the old way and "leave room" for night two?

Am I incorrect, or is there a key component I am missing? 

Thanks you.

• Like 4