DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

2 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Just my humble (probably torch and pitchfork worthy) opinion, but I think they should be 6/7, one spot behind Mandarins. Troopers was like nothing I had ever seen or heard before. I personally enjoyed them way more than Cadets and Cavaliers

I'm as big a Troopers homer as you'll find, so it's gratifying to know you really enjoy the performance. But tbh, Troop needs to up its visual game, especially in guard, before it can contend for 8-7-6 range. I mean they just popped their highest score of the DCI era tonight (woot!) and their visual scores are their best ever overall, but the guard is ranking 16th right now. They have a Top-10 visual program if they can pull it off, but they have 2 contests left in which to do it. If they do, they'll have a solid shot at 9th. And don't count them out for a second; we've all seen what Troop can do at semis.

• Like 4

These guard scores are so fascinating. Keep an eye on Bloo, IMO. They had more silly errors than BD and BAC by some margin and are still very close, which is 100% correct — they beat BAC in achievement! I think that judge saw what a lot of us saw: a first place guard getting a third place performance out of its system. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Being a new Corp parent and of course loving you own kids shows I find it interesting how so many see so many shows in such a different way.  They are all good shows, to me what stands out to me is I like the overall entertainment and music. I like the Colts show, my son is in it, love the music, the guard is good, I think the percussion is underrated in a great percussion field, I love the brass, great playing not just loud playing.  With that said I see the Colts kinda where they are right now. I think the have grown better than the Blue Stars and I am not a huge Trooper show fan but Colts and Troop have been neck and neck all year. I can see where Phantom, Cadets and Mandarins are all just a touch better overall, but that does not mean as entertainment I like them all better than the Colts.  I then see that the Blue Devils are good, really good and are so clean, great music, outstanding guards. I see why the are good.  Same in many way for the Bcoats, BC and Crown.  I am not a particular fan of the cavies show but that percussion keeps them slightly ahed of the Colts right now. So my final 12 is  Crossman, Blue Stars, Troopers,  tie Colts and cavies, phantom, mandarins,cadets,Boston, crown, bloo,bd.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

These guard scores are so fascinating. Keep an eye on Bloo, IMO. They had more silly errors than BD and BAC by some margin and are still very close, which is 100% correct. I think that judge saw what a lot of us saw: a first place guard getting a third place performance out of its system. 

Ehhh not gonna lie, but Bostons guard has been performing like that all season 

19 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

This! I want BD to do a full Sweeney Todd show soooo bad

I second this. It is the greatest musical ever written IMO.

7 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Also I was super let down by Blue Stars. Tamest show about drug induced hallucinations ever done. It needed to be so much weirder. 

This is exactly what my friend said!  It was all about the process with no real reference to the impacts!  It is my least favorite show of the top 17or so.  

• Like 1

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Ehhh not gonna lie, but Bostons guard has been performing like that all season 

What do you mean, BAC guard had a strong run tonight! I haven’t seen Bloo guard drop as much this season as they did tonight, but I still think it was the guard’s most promising run of the summer. The technique is off the charts, drops notwithstsnding. 

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

I second this. It is the greatest musical ever written IMO.

And only BD could do it justice. Ima start emailing Scott Chandler. 

sidebar: saw it in New York with Groban and Ashford. Funniest. Mrs. Lovett. Ever. 

• Like 2