DCI and Indy sign extension thru 2033

5 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

It’s expensive no matter where you go. Have it out west? None of the east open class will go. You may even lose some world class corps. 

exactly. 

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Well, you can have huge unresolved issues around housing availability with a stadium, or you can have huge unresolved issues around housing availabilitywithout a stadium. Neither is ideal, but the former is preferable to the latter. They're solved independently.

Not exactly.  Schools back in session during championship week is an additional housing dilemma specific to Indiana.

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Not exactly.  Schools back in session during championship week is an additional housing dilemma specific to Indiana.

My point being, the stadium authority and the school districts are independent agencies, each having no leverage upon the other. Whether DCI signs, or does not sign, a contract with the stadium authority, that act by itsellf has no impact on whether DCI is happy with the housing situation.

39 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I understand the pros from a business standpoint of this decision. That it takes away some variables in terms of planning, etc. 

However, look at the state of DCI. Look how many corps have dropped out, I mean ffs look at Open Class. which is down to 11 corps. Staying in Indy is KILLING participation from corps in the west. Eventually the weekend will be completely made up of midwest and east coast corps (and BD). 

I think the decision to stay in Indy has killed off competition from a number of corps. It's prohibitively expensive and shouldered by primarily one region every year. 

But ya know, it's easier for the operations people, so...

So where do you propose?  Kansas?  Missouri?  ..... The 2 states in approximately the exact center of the US?

Then rearrange the tour shows to route the corps to end up in those states by finals?

Indy seems to be as about as good of a spot geographically as any.

1 hour ago, Grandpa Joe said:

If you have such a big problem with it, please provide us with a city with a domed stadium that we can use for a 3 day event, housing arrangements for all the corps, and don't forget DCA next year as well. Oh, and each corps is going to need rehearsal spaces for at least 4 days.

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Again, DCI and the corps issue. Not the stadiums. The agreement is with the venue for finals. Don’t like it? Go work for DCI and change it 

Okay, but can that wait until the next intermission?

In all due seriousness, the above quotes illustrate why I asked.  A hundred different people tell me housing is going to kill drum corps, and that championship week housing is particularly difficult.  We will add to that challenge next year with DCA coming to Indy.  I thought negotiation time with the local tourism agency would be our opportunity to chip away at that challenge by asking for their assistance as part of the deal for an extended commitment.  My bad?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, but can that wait until the next intermission?

In all due seriousness, the above quotes illustrate why I asked.  A hundred different people tell me housing is going to kill drum corps, and that championship week housing is particularly difficult.  We will add to that challenge next year with DCA coming to Indy.  I thought negotiation time with the local tourism agency would be our opportunity to chip away at that challenge by asking for their assistance as part of the deal for an extended commitment.  My bad?

Indy has been more accommodating than any other city from my understanding, especially with it being the home of BOA the community was already used to this kind of event, so why change cities to one that would be less accommodating? 

I've been saying for years I don't understand why corps don't utilize the campgrounds. The kids already sleep on gym floors, what's the difference in camping other than you might get rained on stepping outside? There are options other than putting the kids up in a hotel, it just happens to be the easiest solution logistically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

what does the stadium have to do with corps housing? Not the point of the contract 

The same way bacon relates to eggs

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

My point being, the stadium authority and the school districts are independent agencies, each having no leverage upon the other. Whether DCI signs, or does not sign, a contract with the stadium authority, that act by itsellf has no impact on whether DCI is happy with the housing situation.

a.  We have often had show hosts provide a venue for the event, and housing sites for the corps.  It is possible (generally speaking) to address both of those needs in the same contract.

b.  School districts are not the only possible sources of housing.  And if the local tourism agency has no influence or interest in accommodating overnight stays, then they are not doing tourism right.

Housing is going to be an issue wherever finals ends up.  Schools are starting earlier than 10 years ago.  Too bad finals couldn't be held a week earlier.  There are some great marching band programs (i.e. Avon, Carmel, etc.) in the area.  I would think their administration would be helpful.