DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS SEMIFINALS

Sharing my perspective from 4th row on 35 yard line. 

BK was way better all around then they were on flo last night. 

Troopers were noticeably sloppy (visually). They had a speaker right in front of me and the synths were drowning out the pit a lot of the time. Could also hear a lot of individual payers mic’d. Probably all because I was right behind the speaker. Still one of my favorite shows of the season. 

Blue Stars was pretty good. Their guard stuck out to me as being pretty dang good. (Not an guard expert and I don’t normally watch them so it’s a big compliment) 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MelloNell said:

Love how Flo makes sure that you don’t miss an opportunity to watch commercials when you log on. Why would I want to watch the Troopers opening when I can be enticed to buy Burger King.  I’m sure it will play again.

Just switch between hi cam and multi and you won't have to watch the initial ads

The fife and drum guys were really good.  I'm sure George Washington appreciated the back sticking back then.

17 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Jeff Prosperie  apart of this group?

16 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Is Properie the snare on the right?   I wish he was back judging.  Could always count on him to be fair.  When does his son age out?

8 minutes ago, ykw said:

I didn't think Prosperie is judging since his son marches Regiment

8 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I believe he retired from the service.

Jeff Prosperie is a HellCat from West Point. This Old Guard is a different Army band. Jeff Brooks, last night's percussion judge, was and maybe still is a member.

Also, not to be confused with Bluecoats percussion arranger Tom Rarick who was a member of the Air Force Ceremonial Brass but I believe he has since retired from the military.

Edited by gbass598
additional info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

If Blue Knights make it, then I am super happy for them. They have a great mature sound and really taken their show to the next level. I will always be a proud Bones alum, finals or not.

Likewise 100% the other direction.  Didn't expect that from Bones - well, either of them since I wasn't hot on BK early in the season either - but definitely didn't see Bones coming on like that.  Loved their musical production and that's a show I can watch on repeat for a long time to come.  Thought XMen drums were hot tonight.

Either way, whoever makes it earned it because both brought their A Game.  Good enough for me.  

Edited by bkbass98
  • Thanks 1

So, I've been embracing my inner geek and crunching some numbers. Dating back to 1990 I was curious about the highest average score among the top 6 finalists, the top 4 finalists, and lastly the narrowest margin between 1 and 4. Here's what I found...

Highest Average Score: Top 6 Finalists

2019 - 96.60 

Blue Devils Ghostlight 98.325
Bluecoats The Bluecoats 98.238
SCV Vox Eversio 96.6
Crown Beneath the Surface 96.563
Cavaliers The Wrong Side of the Tracks 95.4
Boston Goliath 94.488

Highest Average Score: Top 4 Finalists

2008 - 97.59

Phantom Spartacus 98.125
Blue Devils Constantly Risking Absurdity 98.1
Cavaliers Samurai 97.325
Crown Finis 96.8

Narrowest Margin Between 1st and 4th Place

2008 - 1.33

Phantom Spartacus 98.125
Blue Devils Constantly Risking Absurdity 98.1
Cavaliers Samurai 97.325
Crown Finis 96.8

Where we are as of last night in 2023

Top 6 Average - 95.78

Top 4 Average - 96.91

Margin Between 1st and 4th Place - 1.388

Blue Devils The Cut Outs 97.688
Crown The Round Table 96.975
Bluecoats Garden of Love 96.688
Boston White Whale 96.3
Cadets Atlas Rising 93.688
Mandarins Sinnerman 93.363
  • Like 3

Has BD ever come into Championship weekend undefeated and lost?

12 minutes ago, jasgre2000 said:

Has BD ever come into Championship weekend undefeated and lost?

Now you're just making me mad.  🤣

One of my all-time favorite shows was the 1988 Blue Devils.  Gray unis and shoes, Happy Days are Here again, etc.  What a horn show they had!  Undereated that season until the weekend of finals.  World Champions in any small stadium IMO.

However the finals were held in a large venue and those gray unis just disappeared into the background, along with their undefeated season.  Third place.

Vanguard had the first of two Phantom of the Opera shows, and the Madison Scouts rise from 6th the year before to 1st in finals with the Malaguena closer is the stuff legends are made of.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1