Dci fans should be ashamed of themselves

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

There are now a handful of orgs that can compete with BD every year—though sadly SCV was one of them until this season. Still, the resources at the hands of those who run the BD org are vast, diverse and somewhat unique. Regardless of how good Bluecoats, Crown and Boston are, BD has two decades of winning behind them. They can sign almost anyone auditioner they want to sign. This makes it possible to field the most demanding technical shows without dot charts.

It’s simply not a fair fight. It’s not BDs fault, for sure. But let’s be honest and say nine times out of ten BD is going to win because they are literally playing with a stacked deck.

Accurate.  When your core staff that knows how to design winning shows has very little turnover in decades, and you're fielding the most talented corps every year, you're going to win. A lot. 

In sports terms, BD gets their pick of 5 star recruits.  

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

There are now a handful of orgs that can compete with BD every year—though sadly SCV was one of them until this season. Still, the resources at the hands of those who run the BD org are vast, diverse and somewhat unique. Regardless of how good Bluecoats, Crown and Boston are, BD has two decades of winning behind them. They can sign almost anyone auditioner they want to sign. This makes it possible to field the most demanding technical shows without dot charts.

It’s simply not a fair fight. It’s not BDs fault, for sure. But let’s be honest and say nine times out of ten BD is going to win because they are literally playing with a stacked deck.

The question is how do we unstack that deck in the name of competitive parity? It seems to be an impossible task since you can't tell people where to spend their money, and DCI does not have the same tools that sports leagues have to create parity. 

DCI is unique as a competitive organization. Do they have a responsibility to create the fairest competitive environment, or do they have the responsibility to create the best member experience? 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

DCI is unique as a competitive organization. Do they have a responsibility to create the fairest competitive environment, or do they have the responsibility to create the best member experience? 

Those are two entirely different questions, with two entirely different answers. 

How would you suggest that DCI make the competitive balance any "fairer" than it is right now? 

Just now, jsd said:

Those are two entirely different questions, with two entirely different answers. 

How would you suggest that DCI make the competitive balance any "fairer" than it is right now? 

It's a great question I do not have an answer to. 

The only thing I can think of is tinker with the balance of field performance vs design. Right now 7 out of 11 judges adjudicate effect or analysis. Maybe we ask how to balance that better.

45 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

Accurate.  When your core staff that knows how to design winning shows has very little turnover in decades, and you're fielding the most talented corps every year, you're going to win. A lot. 

I think the confusion lies within your statement, “staff that knows how to design winning shows.”
Most fans, I say most…not all, do not understand why the Blue Devils design is the absolute. In terms of GE it consistently is the top, but why? take away GE scores and BD does not have the wins. I believe that’s where the frustration lies. Why do the judges believe this show is #1 while the audience, again not everyone, does not. Maybe the term GE needs to be changed???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mboogey73 said:

And this is why I take their “method of design” with a few shakes of salt. It simply won’t work if you’re fielding a corps that is 80% first year DCI 18 year old marching members.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Oh? I’ve never heard this before, what corps played Pop goes the weasel? 

For reasons other than mocking, Crossmen played a neat little jazzed up version in their kid-themed show in 1994.  One of my favorite Crossmen shows.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

The question is how do we unstack that deck in the name of competitive parity? It seems to be an impossible task since you can't tell people where to spend their money, and DCI does not have the same tools that sports leagues have to create parity. 

DCI isn’t a franchise. It’s a trade org. The rules are made by and agreed to by the members. DCI has no power to enforce any rule unless the members agree.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

I think the confusion lies within your statement, “staff that knows how to design winning shows.”
Most fans, I say most…not all, do not understand why the Blue Devils design is the absolute. In terms of GE it consistently is the top, but why? take away GE scores and BD does not have the wins. I believe that’s where the frustration lies. Why do the judges believe this show is #1 while the audience, again not everyone, does not. Maybe the term GE needs to be changed???

It won’t matter. No matter what rules you make, it won’t change the fact that BD can still recruit the most experienced and accomplished members (ensuring they don’t march for their competitors) and put a $100,000 sound system on the field.