Madison Scouts 2024

Scott Boerma is a gift.  I feel like this year's show was fantastic musically and will get some people wanting to go there to be a part of that.  Didn't get nearly the attention it deserved musically, IMO.  Can't wait to see where they go with the new vis team.   I feel like they can up the difficulty by 50% or more.  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Lance said:

Scott Boerma is a gift.  I feel like this year's show was fantastic musically and will get some people wanting to go there to be a part of that.  Didn't get nearly the attention it deserved musically, IMO.  Can't wait to see where they go with the new vis team.   I feel like they can up the difficulty by 50% or more.  

Agree. To me, Madison's 2023 strengths were the brass & percussion performance along with their book.  

• Like 3

On 9/4/2023 at 2:40 PM, fighterkit said:

Its not the 90's anymore where corps can finish 16th or 17th and make finals the next year. Corps have to have consistent staffing and member retention as well as a well designed show to break into the finals sphere. Madison breaking back into finals will not be a one year plan, or even a two year plan. You need to start planning for that years in advance, especially when you have been out of finals for a long time. 

I do agree that Madison has not put out good designs the last few years, frankly I have not liked a competitive show that Madison did since 2015. But I think that the ed staff they have right now in terms of drumline, visual, brass is phenomenal and the people that can get the Scouts back into finals. The last piece of the puzzle will be design and JRobb has been rumored to be out since the beginning of the 23 season. Once they get a good design I am confident that the talent is there to take them further up the rankings to where they want to be. Guard has always been a weak issue for Madison. Especially after the sheets changed and guard became its own caption. I think that the guard will continue to improve if given the right environment. It may be hard to see it when you are far removed from the activity, but I can say as someone who recently aged out. There is still a massive draw to be a part of THE Madison Scouts. Members want to go there and members want to be a Scout. That is an insanely powerful draw that younger members are still going towards. Just because they have started to move down the rankings doesn't mean that the members are not going there. I think that the issue has been design. Every member I have talked to that marched Scouts since 2015 have told me how much they love the environment there, how much they love being a Scout, and how they cannot wait to return. They have incredible member retention, which tells me that the kids are getting better under the staff and love their time there and are proud to be a Scout and continue to push others towards the same corps that they marched. 
I'm willing to hold my breath to see who the design team will be for 24, because the right one can be the final piece of the puzzle that Scouts need to get back into finals. 

I disagree. I have seen the posts y'all make in the alum groups and alum groups adjacent. Toxic is the best word to use for the a lot of the alum. You can disguise it how you want, but the things that the alum say about the current corps and membership is frankly toxic. They read them and they spread them to others to complain. You can pretend all you want that you (as in the alum) are not targeting the members but they sure as hell read it that way and take it that way. 

I have very little stake in the Scouts. Other than dating a Scout I can only really talk as a long time fan. But I would love to see them back in the top 12. 

i have zero ties to Madison and don't care who is in charge i want them to be good...but the toxic alumni tag does apply to certain segments of the alumni base. history on the site alone has proven that

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Agree. To me, Madison's 2023 strengths were the brass & percussion performance along with their book.  

the concepts need to be more fleshed out with the visual demand and performance increased.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

And now I'm wondering what school purchased the 'cat toy'? Saw it advertised prior to finals. 😁 

my cat passed away in July so we didn't buy it. now i may get a Troopers windmill....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i have zero ties to Madison and don't care who is in charge i want them to be good...but the toxic alumni tag does apply to certain segments of the alumni base. history on the site alone has proven that

Well thats what happens when an organization shuns and craps on its alumni. Not a good strategy at all. 

44 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Well thats what happens when an organization shuns and craps on its alumni. Not a good strategy at all. 

Thank you. The alumni blame hurts my feelings.

And, once again, what people read on here is the TINIEST fraction of the alumni. How many of us are there? Six to ten? Most alumni I'm in contact with are similar to me.  We don't want Malaguena back, we don't want the old uniforms back, we don't want all male back. We want Madison back, and we can have it - with other genders and with modernization. 

As others have said, we used to be one, if not THE, most popular corps. The crowds went nuts for Madison. It didn't matter what we placed. They were well desgined shows that were entertaining. Plenty of corps still have well designed and entertaining shows. Madison has neither. I agree the music book was good this year, but when the visual is so bad, GE is then bad, and the overall show just doesn't sell.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TenHut said:

from what i've seen....even going back to Masons tenure....it goes both ways

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Thank you. The alumni blame hurts my feelings.

And, once again, what people read on here is the TINIEST fraction of the alumni. How many of us are there? Six to ten? Most alumni I'm in contact with are similar to me.  We don't want Malaguena back, we don't want the old uniforms back, we don't want all male back. We want Madison back, and we can have it - with other genders and with modernization. 

As others have said, we used to be one, if not THE, most popular corps. The crowds went nuts for Madison. It didn't matter what we placed. They were well desgined shows that were entertaining. Plenty of corps still have well designed and entertaining shows. Madison has neither. I agree the music book was good this year, but when the visual is so bad, GE is then bad, and the overall show just doesn't sell.

oh it's not just on here. and i've never said it's all alumni. but there is a very vocal base

• Like 1