Madison Scouts 2024

On 9/6/2023 at 9:55 AM, mjoakes said:

Don't leave. DCP needs your good thinking and voice. Not a great thing for another poster to reference your age (though I think that person didn't intend to be offensive about the age). As these pages aptly demonstrate, wisdom isn't a function just of age.

OMG, I didn't even think of that. I certainly didn't mean offensive at all. I wish I was that young still, LOL. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

OMG, I didn't even think of that. I certainly didn't mean offensive at all. I wish I was that young still, LOL. 

Haha. 

Vuitton and I are good. Just a little bit of a culture divide. No offense taken from them and I hope none offense taken from me. 
We're all on the same page and want the same things, just use different words. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1992AllOverAgain said:

This sounds like good news?

Holding my breath. I am not sure that his stuff at PR/Cavaliers was that good. But I know he did some good stuff for Splanta back in the day. 

I will hold judgement off until I see what he puts on the field. On one hand there is less stress because they aren't a top 12 corps, but on the other hand there is more stress since they are vying for finals. 

In my years of marching the season I felt the most stress was the year we were fighting for finals (and failed), every other season (Including the one where we broke all records for the corps) I felt a lot less stress. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fighterkit said:

Holding my breath. I am not sure that his stuff at PR/Cavaliers was that good. But I know he did some good stuff for Splanta back in the day. 

I will hold judgement off until I see what he puts on the field. On one hand there is less stress because they aren't a top 12 corps, but on the other hand there is more stress since they are vying for finals. 

In my years of marching the season I felt the most stress was the year we were fighting for finals (and failed), every other season (Including the one where we broke all records for the corps) I felt a lot less stress. 

Designers are an extension of the Prog Coord.  Designing in a bubble is when you get a haphazard show of thrown together pieces.   The PC who gets them all on the same page, who aligns the ideas into one path, will be successful.  Boerma is great... but when it all doesnt work together it doesnt matter.   I had a couple groups buy Todd Ryan drill, but the PC had it all designed in different bubbles.  So it all was just not a good show in the end.  Its the vision at the top that makes it all work.  Same as we do on broadway. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MM2006 said:

Do you know who the new program coordinator is? I didn’t think that Scott really runs too deep in “pageantry” circles any more. I could see Mark Waymire doing that job really well, though.

Edited by Red3
  • Haha 1

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, I'm just telling as story.

As a former member of the Madison BOD, I sit and watch in awe as to how far this corps has fallen in the DCI world.  A corps that was once innovators, musical masters, guards that were awe inspiring ... is now a former shadow of itself.    I never marched Madison, I was career military and missed my opportunity to march with anyone, but I was a fan.  Scott Stewart and staff welcomed this quirky military guy into the corps and made me feel as if I was part of the family. 

For years I donated financially to the corps, bought dinners/meals, purchased Madison gear, bought tickets in the Madison block etc., I was even told I was one of the top 25 financial donators to the corps. I was very puzzled, because I never would have thought my annual donation of $1000 would be a top 25. 

Where did all the financial contributor's go?    Maybe they were like me, trying desperately to get the BOD to make some type of change we pulled away, pulling our funds with us as well.  What was once a locally based drum corps with most of the members from WI and MN, now the corps can barely get 150 coed members pulling members worldwide. 

Madison was my favorite corps ever since I saw them on PBS in 1975.  When I found myself stationed in Milwaukee WI in the early 90s, I had to check out my favorite corps in person.  Who knew that the corps relied heavily on fundraising and volunteers - next thing I knew on Friday I was calling BINGO at the BINGO hall.   Also, I was in for a surprise finding the corporate office of the Madison Scouts was Scott Stewarts apartment.  Corps members, parents, alumni etc., all worked and volunteered on the sidelines.  Parents and volunteers made flag, fitted uniforms, painted the wheels on the buses, etc., now all that is gone along with a family element that once made Madison so successful.  Their was PRIDE in the boys!  The judges didn't always give them the scores they deserved, but that horn line would rock your soul and as the final note was played, fans in the stands leapt to their feet cheering wildly.  

While this next statement may upset some, but we know it's the truth.  Madison is now a 15th place corps at best and the talented members of the corps end up going to other corps because they want to perform on Saturday night.  Corps that are within a 2 hour drive of Madison, who made the top 12 last year ... Colts, Blue Star, Phantom, and Cavies, these corps welcome the top talent from Madison to bolster their ranks.  Why would a talented member want to stay at Madison ... the new corps jackets aren't even that cool anymore.

BOD If you care about this corps you need to do what you've been elected to do.  Manage this corps and make some decisions.  If your happy with a 15th place or lower placement in the DCI world, then keep doing what you're doing and other financial contributors will stop funding this folly.  

Someone on this board needs to make two phone calls, one to Jim Mason and second to Dan Acheson and find a rising talent to become the Executive Director of the Madison Scouts.

Oh one last thing.   I do wish the Madison Scouts media team would stop posting video clips of the "glory years,"  75, 88, 91-99.  Those videos remind us of the way is was, not how it is today or how it has been after Scott.  Now it is now is a bunch of BOD leaders with their head stuck in the sand ... ignore the problem and watch the Madison Scout slide further down the placement ladder of DCI.  All of us old dinosaurs will stand and applaud the efforts of todays Madison Scouts and remember, "The Way we Were."

Edited by RBarron10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, RBarron10 said:

As a former member of the Madison BOD, I sit and watch in awe as to how far this corps has fallen in the DCI world.  A corps that was once innovators, musical masters, guards that were awe inspiring ... is now a former shadow of itself.    I never marched Madison, I was career military and missed my opportunity to march with anyone, but I was a fan.  Scott Stewart and staff welcomed this quirky military guy into the corps and made me feel as if I was part of the family. 

For years I donated financially to the corps, bought dinners/meals, purchased Madison gear, bought tickets in the Madison block etc., I was even told I was one of the top 25 financial donators to the corps. I was very puzzled, because I never would have thought my annual donation of $1000 would be a top 25. 

Where did all the financial contributor's go?    Maybe they were like me, trying desperately to get the BOD to make some type of change we pulled away, pulling our funds with us as well.  What was once a locally based drum corps with most of the members from WI and MN, now the corps can barely get 150 coed members pulling members worldwide. 

Madison was my favorite corps ever since I saw them on PBS in 1975.  When I found myself stationed in Milwaukee WI in the early 90s, I had to check out my favorite corps in person.  Who knew that the corps relied heavily on fundraising and volunteers - next thing I knew on Friday I was calling BINGO at the BINGO hall.   Also, I was in for a surprise finding the corporate office of the Madison Scouts was Scott Stewarts apartment.  Corps members, parents, alumni etc., all worked and volunteered on the sidelines.  Parents and volunteers made flag, fitted uniforms, painted the wheels on the buses, etc., now all that is gone along with a family element that once made Madison so successful.  Their was PRIDE in the boys!  The judges didn't always give them the scores they deserved, but that horn line would rock your soul and as the final note was played, fans in the stands leapt to their feet cheering wildly.  

While this next statement may upset some, but we know it's the truth.  Madison is now a 15th place corps at best and the talented members of the corps end up going to other corps because they want to perform on Saturday night.  Corps that are within a 2 hour drive of Madison, who made the top 12 last year ... Colts, Blue Star, Phantom, and Cavies, these corps welcome the top talent from Madison to bolster their ranks.  Why would a talented member want to stay at Madison ... the new corps jackets aren't even that cool anymore.

BOD If you care about this corps you need to do what you've been elected to do.  Manage this corps and make some decisions.  If your happy with a 15th place or lower placement in the DCI world, then keep doing what you're doing and other financial contributors will stop funding this folly.  

Someone on this board needs to make two phone calls, one to Jim Mason and second to Dan Acheson and find a rising talent to become the Executive Director of the Madison Scouts.

Oh one last thing.   I do wish the Madison Scouts media team would stop posting video clips of the "glory years,"  75, 88, 91-99.  Those videos remind us of the way is was, not how it is today or how it has been after Scott.  Now it is now is a bunch of BOD leaders with their head stuck in the sand ... ignore the problem and watch the Madison Scout slide further down the placement ladder of DCI.  All of us old dinosaurs will stand and applaud the efforts of todays Madison Scouts and remember, "The Way we Were."

Post of the year! Well said and spot on. 

17 hours ago, RBarron10 said:

Wonderful post. Thank you for your input.

• Like 1