Carolina Crown 2024

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

I've loved every Crown show since I was first introduced to them in 2007 (Triple Crown) when our school hosted a show.  (After I started teaching HS in the mid 90s I took a little break from the corps scene.)

So many different styles have been given to the audience by these incredible students. But dare I say it?  I loved "Right Here, Right Now" 'cause it made me want to dance. 😂 But I also adored "Camelot".  Guess I'm just weird.

:dancin:

I too loved Camelot. Do I want dark and dreary, murder and mayhem every year? No. I think the activity could use some camp, fun, and whimsy. The activity simply takes itself too seriously nowadays. Funnily enough, the activity has been deemed Broadway on Grass for years now, but yet there's no Broadway shows anymore...untapped potential there that could be camped up. Closest we've gotten to Broadway during the Broadway on Grass era is Crown 2017 with For Good. Lol. 

Also, I too first fell in love with Crown in 2007. I started to notice them after the staff upgrades in 2003, but 2007 is when I really started to follow them, and 2008 just solidified it. 

I just don't see the upside of sophistication over fun shows. I don't see the point in everything having to have a deeper, philosophical meaning with sophistication and grace. Let's have fun in drum corps again!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I too loved Camelot. Do I want dark and dreary, murder and mayhem every year? No. I think the activity could use some camp, fun, and whimsy. The activity simply takes itself too seriously nowadays. Funnily enough, the activity has been deemed Broadway on Grass for years now, but yet there's no Broadway shows anymore...untapped potential there that could be camped up. Closest we've gotten to Broadway during the Broadway on Grass era is Crown 2017 with For Good. Lol. 

Also, I too first fell in love with Crown in 2007. I started to notice them after the staff upgrades in 2003, but 2007 is when I really started to follow them, and 2008 just solidified it. 

I just don't see the upside of sophistication over fun shows. I don't see the point in everything having to have a deeper, philosophical meaning with sophistication and grace. Let's have fun in drum corps again!

They could do a take on the LIGHT aide of camelot next year. The early days, with arthur and gwen before the affair. more merlin. More like the musical. A prequel, if you will. They can start with the pieces spread all around the kingdom, and end with the whole table assembled!

4 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

They could do a take on the LIGHT aide of camelot next year. The early days, with arthur and gwen before the affair. more merlin. More like the musical. A prequel, if you will. They can start with the pieces spread all around the kingdom, and end with the whole table assembled!

It certainly would save on the cost of props! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

And exactly, it's you're opinion. Nobody is saying you're wrong. I'm allowed to have my opinion as well, right? My opinion is continuing down the dark show path (even if they end lightly) is becoming a one trick pony. We can't complain about other corps doing it and then be okay with our corps doing it. 

I'm not disagreeing with you so much as expecting the current design team to stay far away from the previous shows.  Not because they weren't good or accessible but because they want to have their own identity -- their own version of Crown.  

I also think it's bit near-sighted to say sticking with opera is a "one trick pony".  Or classical.  Or even dark.  Those are extremely broad genres.  You could do 100's of shows in those classifications and not get even slightly repetitive.  And all of those genres have plenty of room for fun.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, karuna said:

I'm not disagreeing with you so much as expecting the current design team to stay far away from the previous shows.  Not because they weren't good or accessible but because they want to have their own identity -- their own version of Crown.  

I also think it's bit near-sighted to say sticking with opera is a "one trick pony".  Or classical.  Or even dark.  Those are extremely broad genres.  You could do 100's of shows in those classifications and not get even slightly repetitive.  And all of those genres have plenty of room for fun.

I also think it's limiting themselves to becoming a one trick pony by sticking to classical or opera or dark. Look at Phantom. 

I also fin it kind of funny that this current design team is going to stay far away from the previous shows, when 2023 was riddled with easter eggs from those shows. Lol.

Edited by Grandpa Joe

17 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I also think it's limiting themselves to becoming a one trick pony by sticking to classical or opera or dark. Look at Phantom. 

I also fin it kind of funny that this current design team is going to stay far away from the previous shows, when 2023 was riddled with easter eggs from those shows. Lol.

A Beethoven show and a Ligeti show would be "cookie cutter"  shows? :confused:

Staying away from the previous design teams work is pretty standard in drum corps and many other artistic endeavors.   Easter eggs is not the same as duplication.  

Again -- it seems to me you want the old Crown with the old shows.  I'm an unabashed fan of those shows.   But expecting them to return is IMHO sheer fantasy.  They were a product of designers who no longer work there and produced at a point in Crown's history that has long since passed.  

Finally let me remind you that all of this talk of (dark | opera | classical) is just DCP speculation and none of it has been put forward by the corps or the designers.   So who knows,  maybe Crown will do a Broadway show or Rock show or Muppets show next season.  Or maybe a show about a dolphin?  

Edited by karuna

23 hours ago, DWW11 said:

Spamalot?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Spamalot?

How did i miss that OBVIOUS connection?  I feel suitably ashamed!

• Haha 3