The Staff Merry-go-round

3 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Agreed.  The only people who state this are Blue Stars folks.     

im not saying it isn’t true, but I haven’t seen one data point to support it.   

You can say me not stars folks and I was told by a staff member about the 2022 results. They said BD was #1 and stars were number 2. Maybe @BradF can ease your mind 😁

Also, it's in alot of member bios on Instagram for "why did you join blue stars" and answered with "I heard about them having one of the best environments and it's true".  I'd hope they don't lie on those 😅

Edited by BlueStainGlass

3 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

The most significant staff change in DCI...who replaces Dan?

This

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

If you're driving at the idea that SCV won't return and the Rennicks will be looking for a home, I can see where you're coming from. And, sure, if the Troopers have the resources and the Rennicks have the interest, then, well, Wagons Ho!

But even if the resources were in place, the ROI would need to be greater than the return Troopers are getting out of their current, presumably less expensive, arrangement with the Rennicks. The current arrangement -- the one in which the Rennicks have been full-time with VMAPA and have also composed the percussion book for Troopers -- has brought Troopercussion into the company of upper-echelon programs. They finished 8th this year, ahead of such programs as Phantom and Blue Stars, and closer in score to Blue Devils than to Blue Knights. If the Troopers were to invest in the Rennicks in an amount that would ensure their FT commitment, the admin would need to be persuaded that it could, at a minimum, result in pushing Troopercussion into the discussion for the Sanford. . . .

. . . because not even that possibility may be enough to warrant the expenditure. Having realistic dreams about the trophy -- one named after a Casper native and former Trooper, after all -- is cool and everything, but even if Troop had won the Sanford last night, it would have boosted their overall score to about 90.6, good for 9th place. (And maybe an extra ~1 point in MA, so call it 92.0; still 9th place).

And maybe, when you're trying to get into the top 6 and then aim for a medal, this is what it takes: You have to spend and sweat more to reap smaller increases in points. If all else is constant and the Rennicks are worth an extra 1.5 to 2.0 points during championship week compared to where you are now, maybe that's a good investment.

But even if the Rennicks, assuming they want to even stay in this game, remain with SCV (if VMAPA survives) or land with another corps (if it doesn't or is limping), then at worst the situation going forward is status quo ante, with Paul and Sandi charting the Troopercussion score, and Team Lauren teaching it to the members. Same as now. Same as what has brought Troopers drums to this point. To make the added investment, admin would need to be of the belief that further progress in Troopercussion is not possible under the current arrangement. There could be a cost associated with sending that kind of signal, too -- or maybe not; maybe having the Rennicks and Lauren Teel under one roof would be percussion heaven and lock up the Sanford for years to come, who knows.

Point is, it's not a slam dunk to hire the Rennicks, assuming they would even entertain such an offer. The Troopers have bigger issues now than their percussion program, and their limited resources probably would bring a bigger return if invested in their visual programming generally and guard specifically.

Troop just put Lauren into their hall of fame. She’s not going anywhere unless she wants to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

I don't know about him specifically, but another guy that works for Stanbury on the west coast (and directs a devilish gold medalist) makes $$$. Far more than what I'd expect a DCI executive director to make.

Not sure if the Seidlings want to move to Indy.

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The Troopers badly need new colorguard techs 

Boston needs to get rid of whoever suggested them switch to those horns they used this year 

I think brass arranging could be improved at Cavies, though the arrangements this year could’ve just been the nature of the show 

I think a lot of corps this year showed they actually have some really good foundations set in place. Pacific Crest, Spirit of Atlanta, Colts, Phantom Regiment, Mandarins, and Cadets, all corps who are either newcomers or have had recent staff overhauls all showed that things are moving in the right direction and for them, I hope things stay as stable as possible 

They got a sweetheart deal on those horns since the owner of the company is an alum. I think they also make the bugles for the Marine Corps. 

I think Gino will have some input on improving the horns. In 2002 with Magic, he had Dynasty send all new lead pipes for the trumpets (I think Dynasty was just bringing out Bb lines at the time) 

13 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

They got a sweetheart deal on those horns since the owner of the company is an alum. I think they also make the bugles for the Marine Corps. 

I think Gino will have some input on improving the horns. In 2002 with Magic, he had Dynasty send all new lead pipes for the trumpets (I think Dynasty was just bringing out Bb lines at the time) 

As Frank Williams said "dynasty horns are like playing on toilet plumbing" you can infer what he was going for 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Right. This is how all hiring hierarchies in nonprofits work.

We're asking about the process. SoA's hiring process was transparent and handled by a 3rd party. Set the standard and look at their comeback. DCI and other corps could learn a lot from that.

They did have a multi-tiered approach, working with an outside placement firm who first encouraged them to use the resources that exists within the member organizations, then opening it up to a wider pool of applicants through postings and some targeted head hunting. Kind of surprised that it's August and they haven't made a choice yet, but it seems the process is pretty far along, so something should be settled by early fall, I'd imagine.

• Thanks 1

Crossmen ; after placing 13 th 2 years in a row one would hope that they can make the necessary staff adjustments that will bring them back to a more competitive and quality production for 2024.