The Staff Merry-go-round

3 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

I wasn't aware about JDI. That's how quiet it's been (I don't do all the socials, but I come in here from time to time and subscribe to FloMarching - was formerly a staff member, now just a fan of DCI, so I wouldn't say I'm "in the know" but I'm also not "on the fringe").

I totally agree with the message they tried to send. I understand enough to know that I won't be able to comprehend the frustration they must feel because I haven't walked in their shoes. That's moreso the reason I don't want them to be their own enemy, because theirs is a voice and an experience that has a place in this activity.

It's propelling us to talk about it, so a dialogue WAS started - at least there's that!

I appreciate this.

This activity uses up some of us and then spits us back out the second we try to raise a valid concern. It's felt differently (if not doubly so) for those of us that fought against those additional barriers to access previously mentioned in order to merely participate. Additionally, in between the chewing up and spitting out there are even more barriers that eat away our patience. It's a slow career death by a thousand paper cuts.

Again, I can't speak for the previous staffer in question as I don't know them and I'm not nonbinary, but I can relate from an intersectional perspective and add context. When there is no one in leadership who can't see the difference between being our own worst enemy and the extreme frustration of enduring aforementioned barriers, nothing can change. This is why representation in leadership matters so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The largest action taken on the part of DCI was the JDI (Judging Diversity Initiative) that started last spring, but there haven't been any public updates about it.

Here's where the rub is though, often across much of JEDI/DEI work: @Grandpa Joe raises important points about access to the luxury of participating in drum corps. Because of this alone, asking marginalized/vulnerable groups to do all of this additional unpaid work is a lot. This is often in addition to unacceptable treatment endured already in the workplace. Does it need to happen anyway? YES! Otherwise how will the activity get better? But it shouldn't be expected or demanded before people from these groups get frustrated and speak out on their own platforms with their own voices. If this person blocked their former employer, could it be (just possibly) because they endured treatment similar to those in my reports? IDK.

That said, I don't know the nature of the person in question or the nature of their public voice. I'm speaking broadly from my experiences in other fields.

39 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

I wasn't aware about JDI. That's how quiet it's been (I don't do all the socials, but I come in here from time to time and subscribe to FloMarching - was formerly a staff member, now just a fan of DCI, so I wouldn't say I'm "in the know" but I'm also not "on the fringe").

I totally agree with the message they tried to send. I understand enough to know that I won't be able to comprehend the frustration they must feel because I haven't walked in their shoes. That's moreso the reason I don't want them to be their own enemy, because theirs is a voice and an experience that has a place in this activity.

It's propelling us to talk about it, so a dialogue WAS started - at least there's that!

The judging diversity initiative was posted many times by DCI. Post last season and leading up to the deadline to apply. It was a strong effort by them to push for this and it paid off. For this season. And I hope it continues.

That being said, I kind of understand not wanting to post a ton of updates on it. Mainly for the realm of a lot of judges like to keep quiet and the judges are actually told not to post anything on social media about being a judge to avoid conflicts of interest, rumored bias, etc etc. It’s a fine line to walk so I understand. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grandpa Joe said:

If Keith Tye is out at Cavies, does that mean Andy Tye is likely out as well?

Haven’t seen/heard anything re: Keith. 
source?

I believe Andy was just used as a consultant. So would think if rumor is true then yes Andy gone as well. 

Just now, Grandpa Joe said:

Fighterkit posted it a page or two back.

Was asking because Keith is still on Cavaliers Website as well as listed in his social media. So question is regards to where did fighterkit get their intel other then just posting it on DCP?