The Staff Merry-go-round

3 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

This was made by an SCVC alum who’s was frustrated by the org making them take 22 off, which then in turn led to the A corps. 

There’s No Place Like Santa Clara is an acronym the corps uses a lot. 

The purple feather is something that members would give towards members they did not want to come back to the org for various reasons. 

This photo was made to signify that VMAPA gave SCVC a purple feather. And now In turn.VMAPA is being given the purple feather 

Thanks for the explanation. Wow…that purple feather is harsh. Kind of like being blackballed from a fraternity. Would the organization hand out a purple feather or would the members?

• Sad 2

Just now, GREENBLUE said:

Thanks for the explanation. Wow…that purple feather is harsh. Kind of like being blackballed from a fraternity. Would the organization hand out a purple feather or would the members?

I was told the members

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

The purple feather is something that members would give towards members they did not want to come back to the org for various reasons. 

Purple feather must've started after I left. Your sharing of the meme is the first I've heard of it. I have no feather of any color, but definitely left for reasons I've highlighted at length elsewhere.

Heartbroken for this alum and others who felt compelled to create this new tradition and the meme.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Purple feather must've started after I left. Your sharing of the meme is the first I've heard of it. I have no feather of any color, but definitely let for reasons I've highlighted at length elsewhere.

Heartbroken for this alum and others who felt compelled to create this new tradition and the meme.

I’ve heard of it dating back to the 2010s as a way to let problematic members know privately and without one person saying it, that they were not wanted. Typically used for those you do not want at any org. 

I am close with a lot of recent alum of the org, just by nature of when I marched and many have expressed interest in me sharing it to signify their complete distrust in the board and the org by how they’ve handled this as well as treated their home corps, the Cadet corps.

The way they talk breaks my heart and I truly hope that things work out the way they want it. No matter what that ends up being. I have no stake in vanguard coming back or not except In my friends and their wants

• Thanks 2

On 8/28/2023 at 10:51 AM, MusicManNJ said:

DCI was silent because DCI did not know that SCV management had planned on pulling the plug. They were in the dark like everyone else except the SCV leadership.

I was referring above to what DCI did after they found out the same time we all did. They took no punitive action with the Corps.

For context, in 2010 DCI stepped in and told the Troopers they were suspended for a year and until such time as they removed Mgt that had not filed taxes in a timely manner. DCI took action immediately upon being notified that the Troopers Mgt had not fulfilled IRS tax filings in a timely manner.

As for SCV it appears they were in far more delinquent filings,and despite that knowledge ( and in debt that no corps in DCI History was at in dollars ), SCV were still holding auditions and taking parents/ marchers audition fees.

When DCI was informed of this unethical and irresponsible behavior by SCV Mgt there, as well as the IRS and State of Calif notifications of repeated failures to comply, DCI pretty much took no punitive action. It was SCV that were given the opportunity to announce that they had decided to " take the season off with hopes to return in 2024 ". SCV is currently not under a year's suspension imposed by DCI( as were the Troopers in 2010.)

(  PS... I am amening the year to 2005 that the Troopers were suspended for the 2006 season by DC BOD, and reinstated for 2007 by vote of DCI BOD on Oct.3rd, 2006 )

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

I’ve heard of it dating back to the 2010s as a way to let problematic members know privately and without one person saying it, that they were not wanted. Typically used for those you do not want at any org. 

Okay that's a little weirder... almost like denylisting? A feather but possibly no feedback? I'll have to ask around.

I am close with a lot of recent alum of the org, just by nature of when I marched and many have expressed interest in me sharing it to signify their complete distrust in the board and the org by how they’ve handled this as well as treated their home corps, the Cadet corps.

VC alum have a lot to be upset about, dating back a long time. My heart goes out to them. Didn't march there but am close to many who did. VC alum I marched with made me who I am today.

The way they talk breaks my heart and I truly hope that things work out the way they want it. No matter what that ends up being. I have no stake in vanguard coming back or not except In my friends and their wants

I encourage them to be vocal. They are stakeholders. No time like the present.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I think the frustration is the continued lack of transparency from VMAPA. Hosting a public meeting and then at the last second cancelling is a bad look and continues to keep information. 

This rule has been around since 2017, why now do they call this as a reason to cancel the meeting. If it is that critical to the meeting I understand, but they should have made this decision sooner. 
And if the staff changes are not critical to the meeting than just go "We cannot talk about it because of this DCI rule"
Yes that will cause some frustration but they are causing more frustration by cancelling last second. 

Right now it just looks like VMAPA is putting off making the announcement that they are not fielding and are finding excuses to do it. 

3 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Couldn’t they just say “Folks we’re back for ‘24. Please check our website for audition information. Unfortunately due to DCI policies we can’t talk staff at this time until after Labor Day . Thank You for Understanding.”

it’s really not that difficult.

I'd like to contribute to this discussion without diverging too far from the points raised by Fighterkit and Greenblue.

It's evident that the issue of transparency from VMAPA is causing frustration within the community. The abrupt cancellation of a public meeting certainly sends mixed messages and hinders the flow of information.

Regarding the DCI rule and its impact on discussing staff changes, I agree with Greenblue's suggestion. A concise announcement acknowledging their return for '24 while explaining the constraint due to DCI policies would provide clarity and understanding.

In addition, I share the concern about the leadership vacuum and the lack of a unified vision. It's disheartening when key leadership positions seem uncertain or divided among other commitments.

While the excitement of fielding in '23 was welcomed, the subsequent communication left room for doubts. Offering contracts and call backs shortly before retracting the decision understandably erodes trust and leaves stakeholders in a state of uncertainty.

I hope that moving forward, VMAPA can prioritize consistent and transparent communication, allowing supporters, alumni, and prospective members to engage with confidence.

Just my 2 cents…

Edited by lifeisaround
More professionally and appropriate
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Okay that's a little weirder... almost like denylisting? A feather but possibly no feedback? I'll have to ask around

I never marched Vanguard so asking around would more than likely yield more concrete answers. 

From what I remember is that there were occasionally members who were just jerks to everyone constantly. Not a problem on the field, just a major ########. 
Members would sneak a purple feather into their suitcase so they would open it at home and know they aren’t welcome. 
Tbh I’ve only ever heard it done once or twice. I bet younger alum could definitely provide a better answer than I could

6 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

I never marched Vanguard so asking around would more than likely yield more concrete answers. 

From what I remember is that there were occasionally members who were just jerks to everyone constantly. Not a problem on the field, just a major ########. 
Members would sneak a purple feather into their suitcase so they would open it at home and know they aren’t welcome. 
Tbh I’ve only ever heard it done once or twice. I bet younger alum could definitely provide a better answer than I could

😬 Yeah I'm gonna shy away from that whole thing then.

Another example, IMHO, that the culture got out of control. It dates back a long time.

But I get the sentiment in the iteration of the new meme, I guess. It's one of frustration, which I share.