The Staff Merry-go-round

9 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but it’s not good if they have to advertise the openings. Correct?  Usually this stuff is done behind closed doors or with a handshake. 

They’ve been doing this a few years. I assume it’s to give more people a chance rather than just all internal

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but it’s not good if they have to advertise the openings. Correct?  Usually this stuff is done behind closed doors or with a handshake. 

I don't know if it's "not good," but it's definitely weird.

7 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

I highly prefer this method... Why don't we encourage it more... Why does it have to be a backdoor deal? How can we get young/different/diverse designers in there WHEN THERES NEVER AN OPTION TO APPLY... 

Just my two cents, I think drum corps needs to standardize more like the actual real world works as well. 

Fully support them in this decision and I hope it gives them great candidates to choose from... 

I certainly hope the home team manages to get the staff they need to be more competitive. I think the hard part is that they’ve been a rotation of staff most years. Few people stay for longer than two years. Lisa, the BCH, is one of the staff members that I can recall being there for a long time. 

At this point I think any staff they get should be on a long term contract to allow them to grow without fear of getting fired after a season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

I certainly hope the home team manages to get the staff they need to be more competitive. I think the hard part is that they’ve been a rotation of staff most years. Few people stay for longer than two years. Lisa, the BCH, is one of the staff members that I can recall being there for a long time. 

At this point I think any staff they get should be on a long term contract to allow them to grow without fear of getting fired after a season. 

Couldn't agree more, it should be a learning curve/growth process to allow them to make efforts in all areas... 

recruiting, teaching, staff retention and at the end of the day how well they travel down the road, but couldn't agree more to that statement sir 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

They’ve been doing this a few years. I assume it’s to give more people a chance rather than just all internal

Seems rather late to the game if they’re just advertising now. Maybe if they can pick up some of the staff that has been let go from other corps??

My information is that Boston's entire design team/caption head group is back in full for year seven!  In fact, 2024 design meetings begin in a matter of days.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Seems rather late to the game if they’re just advertising now. Maybe if they can pick up some of the staff that has been let go from other corps??

Maybe they tried to do it privately and did not get enough offers. 
Unfortunately they are in that competitive range that they will struggle to fill spots no matter what they do. 

I'm more intrigued in who will pick up Gains - that will be a BIG win. 

Edited by Cadet Guardy
Used a word DCP thought was a baddy but it wasn't
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cadet Guardy said:

I'm more intrigued in who will ###### up Gains - that will be a BIG win. 

I had always heard that he was absolutely done with drum corps once he was out with Cavaliers. And then went to SCV and said the same thing. 

• Like 1