Blue Devils 2024 right before the storm

12 hours ago, Galen said:

It's not bitterness or saying it's unearned or undeserved- more of an acknowledgement of the seemingly perpetual disparity between what BD rolls out with every year and what every other corps brings out, as well as the lack of overall competitive parity at the top that's been the environment of DCI for the last 10-15 years. 

To have any other expectations for this season, or any given season for the foreseeable future, would be wishful thinking at best or being in denial at worst.

And yes there's a lot of time between now and August but realistically speaking, it would take something along the lines of multiple major staff departures or a sudden unforeseen and unexpected drop in finances or recruiting, and none of those are anything that should be expected to happen anytime soon.

I absolutely get the BD fatigue of them not just winning but doing so in a dominate fashion. No question they will be in full force in 2024. You look at their legacy since 1975 and it's....well unprecedented.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Galen said:

It's not bitterness or saying it's unearned or undeserved- more of an acknowledgement of the seemingly perpetual disparity between what BD rolls out with every year and what every other corps brings out, as well as the lack of overall competitive parity at the top that's been the environment of DCI for the last 10-15 years. 

To have any other expectations for this season, or any given season for the foreseeable future, would be wishful thinking at best or being in denial at worst.

And yes there's a lot of time between now and August but realistically speaking, it would take something along the lines of multiple major staff departures or a sudden unforeseen and unexpected drop in finances or recruiting, and none of those are anything that should be expected to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for the clarification!

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I absolutely get the BD fatigue of them not just winning but doing so in a dominate fashion. No question they will be in full force in 2024. You look at their legacy since 1975 and it's....well unprecedented.

I admire BD and their competitive dominance, and I absolutely love their shows. With that being said, I would like to see more competition for that top spot. Now with THAT being said, I don’t want ANYONE to be judged unfairly. If BD is the best on the field, then I want them to win it. If another corps manages to be better, then I want that corps to win it. There’s not a single championship BD has won in the last 20 years that they did not deserve. Which means everyone else just needs to step up their game. THAT’S what I would like to see happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, An_drew said:

I admire BD and their competitive dominance, and I absolutely love their shows. With that being said, I would like to see more competition for that top spot. Now with THAT being said, I don’t want ANYONE to be judged unfairly. If BD is the best on the field, then I want them to win it. If another corps manages to be better, then I want that corps to win it. There’s not a single championship BD has won in the last 20 years that they did not deserve. Which means everyone else just needs to step up their game. THAT’S what I would like to see happen.

honestly 22 and 23, BD deserved it. 19 was a toss up for sure. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

honestly 22 and 23, BD deserved it. 19 was a toss up for sure. 

I can't say I entirely disagree with you there, because I'm a pretty big Bloo fan. But I believe that it really could have gone either way. BD was phenomenal that year too. I just don't like to get hung up on it because that was an amazing season for the Bluecoats, and I will always remember it fondly regardless of the final outcome.

• Like 1

I have always congratulated BD on their wins.   For my money, however,  2022 could have easily been won by them, Boston or Bluecoats.   Ultimately,  it has always come down to the judging panel on finals night.  I'm not suggesting bias...only that they are human beings trying to put a number on an art form. 

If you took a dozen of us dcp folks and had us walk through an art museum trying to put numbers on the paintings, it would be the same, particularly if we all knew which artist painted which piece. 

I might have the Monet up by 2 tenths while Jeff Ream has the Picasso up by 1 tenth and Boss Anova has the Winslow Homer a half point above both.

That darned Boss Anova....always hyping the New England people......

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, An_drew said:

I can't say I entirely disagree with you there, because I'm a pretty big Bloo fan. But I believe that it really could have gone either way. BD was phenomenal that year too. I just don't like to get hung up on it because that was an amazing season for the Bluecoats, and I will always remember it fondly regardless of the final outcome.

i don't really get hung up on who wins as long as they deserve it. i still say Bloo 19 not finding the right way into Hey Jude hurt

• Like 4

5 hours ago, craiga said:

I have always congratulated BD on their wins.   For my money, however,  2022 could have easily been won by them, Boston or Bluecoats.   Ultimately,  it has always come down to the judging panel on finals night.  I'm not suggesting bias...only that they are human beings trying to put a number on an art form. 

If you took a dozen of us dcp folks and had us walk through an art museum trying to put numbers on the paintings, it would be the same, particularly if we all knew which artist painted which piece. 

I might have the Monet up by 2 tenths while Jeff Ream has the Picasso up by 1 tenth and Boss Anova has the Winslow Homer a half point above both.

That darned Boss Anova....always hyping the New England people......

Boston peaked. too much content to get that clean...they hit a level and stayed there. same as last year....too much demand for the sake of demand. don't get me wrong i would have been thrilled if they had won either year

14 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

BD Fatigue is exactly the phrase that describes how I've felt about drum corps corps in general for the last 10-15 years. And I think it's seeped into more than a few corps at this point as well as far as trying to come up with anything that could actually compete for 1st place.

The reality is that it's been and will continue to be race for second place. It doesn't matter how much BD fatigue there is. They probably already have a plan in place for if or when the activity puts on a dirt blanket. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1