Does Madison.....

No. That corps needs to decide who they are now that they're co-ed. It's what the leadership had to do when they merged Capitolaires with the Madison Junior Scouts. Capitol Sound couldn't be one or the other; it had to be a new iteration with its own identity.

This corps needs to master a show of lower quality and build from there. They don't have the talent to pull off a typical Madison Scouts show. If they can manage to be a contender for Saturday night, they may attract better talent. BD's horn line is filled with boys and girls as young as 18 and they were stunningly good. But Madison could not have begun to do justice to the Chasesque baritone and soprano runs in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Crawl, walk, run, sprint, then in your face!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We tried that in 19. View the results…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mad Mello said:

Madison needs a show that knows what it wants to be and communicates that to the audience--whatever the style may be. I love the old school Madison attitude as that's what I marched. But they don't need to do that succeed, they just need a well constructed product that the kids buy into and sell.

Absolutely

15 hours ago, Mad Mello said:

Madison needs a show that knows what it wants to be and communicates that to the audience--whatever the style may be. I love the old school Madison attitude as that's what I marched. But they don't need to do that succeed, they just need a well constructed product that the kids buy into and sell.

It was clearly not a formally judged Year, but in my opinion the overall look and swagger of the corps was great in 2021 and was definitely well received.  I think they should have stayed on that course for a 3 year stint and after 3 decide /assess where things are at.  

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gantang said:

This corps needs to master a show of lower quality and build from there. They don't have the talent to pull off a typical Madison Scouts show. If they can manage to be a contender for Saturday night, they may attract better talent.

I do think this is a very good point. I know everyone wants to see old Madison Scouts back in action. But the job of a good design team and teaching staff is not to write that kind of show if the members cannot handle it. You have to write to the talents you have. Madison actually had some good brass and percussion musicians this summer. The visual book was overwritten and did not work that well with the music. The prop did not work. The guard book was too far behind by the time they finished learning the full show. They have to do a better job of getting a show on the field that can be performed at a decent level so they have a chance to clean while also making changes. 

Age and experience is what it is. They need a show that is well crafted, can be fully taught at camp, and one that meets the talent and experience level of the members. Then they can clean, tweak, and layer from there. The theme or concept of the show needs to be obvious and easy to understand. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

a large cat toy randomly rolling around the field.  

I love that!