Boston Crusaders 2024

On 12/26/2023 at 9:32 AM, Jeff Ream said:

agreed on many levels, but i think it'd be as magical as 99 or 00 if they finally got one

In 1999 and 2000 I saw BAC at Manning Bowl in Lynn in early August. In 1999 people in the stands in Lynn believed Boston Crusaders should make finals, but there was a distrust of DCI among many. Would they make finals was the question. In 2000 I know I only saw BAC once and I could not get over the improvement. “Red” has always been one of my favorite shows of all time and is my favorite BAC show. It probably always will be.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

I taught at St. Kevin’s School (1986-1992) about twenty plus years after the corps stopped competing. There was a store room in one of the school buildings that had old uniforms, bugles, drums, flags, trophies, and other corps memorabilia. No one ever went into the store room that I can recall. One year we returned after the summer and to our surprise, the store room had been emptied to make room for a computer lab. I have no idea what happened to the equipment. Alums may have rescued it but where the bugles were no longer the bugles used in competition, the uniforms were in bad shape, etc., my guess it was hauled away.

There’s a hundred stories just like that in the naked city about dead drum corps. The Kilties have a sad story about hiding equipment, trophies and uniforms from creditors. I don’t know what happened with the Guardsmen. I was out of the loop by 1982. I don’t know if it was financial or loss of staff because of $$$. 

I hope Boston has cool jewelry again at the souvie stand. I’m still going to buy some of that hahahah.

• Haha 1

I'd like a BAC pin not tied to the year's show.  I've started collecting pins from the corps.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I'd like a BAC pin not tied to the year's show.  I've started collecting pins from the corps.

I think I brought that up one day while working merch. I believe the reason we don't is because they don't sell well
But I would love to see one again so I'll bring it up again. 

Edited by fighterkit
  • Like 2

Ooh. Thanks.  I'd think a Waldo pin would have a fairly wide appeal at least!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

There’s a hundred stories just like that in the naked city about dead drum corps. The Kilties have a sad story about hiding equipment, trophies and uniforms from creditors. I don’t know what happened with the Guardsmen. I was out of the loop by 1982. I don’t know if it was financial or loss of staff because of $$$. 

I hope Boston has cool jewelry again at the souvie stand. I’m still going to buy some of that hahahah.

i got the Dunkin lookalike shirt

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I think I brought that up one day while working merch. I believe the reason we don't is because they don't sell well
But I would love to see one again so I'll bring it up again. 

Have them only make a single production run & call it a limited edition.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

While I’m sure some corps hid equipment away from auctioneers, in the case of many of the defunct drum corps, drill teams, and bands from back in the day, the question would be what do you do with the stuff? Instruments were used until they could be used no more, and what do you do with uniforms? Maybe the local dance troupe could use them for a production of “The Nutcracker” or a theater company doing “The Music Man.” I know of one parish that never had a marching group of any kind that found a set of uniforms. No one could identify them and no one in the parish knew where they came from until someone remembered a local drill team disbanded and donated them to the parish just in case they ever wanted to start a drill team.

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

While I’m sure some corps hid equipment away from auctioneers, in the case of many of the defunct drum corps, drill teams, and bands from back in the day, the question would be what do you do with the stuff? Instruments were used until they could be used no more, and what do you do with uniforms? Maybe the local dance troupe could use them for a production of “The Nutcracker” or a theater company doing “The Music Man.” I know of one parish that never had a marching group of any kind that found a set of uniforms. No one could identify them and no one in the parish knew where they came from until someone remembered a local drill team disbanded and donated them to the parish just in case they ever wanted to start a drill team.

I’m thinking Ken Norman may have had a lot of those horns in the case of the Kilties.  There were uniforms floating around everywhere from lots of defunct drum corps. .  Many of them are in Bill Ives’ drum corps museum. Jim donated a Kilts uniform to Bill that he got from a Kiltie brother.  Bill has so many uniforms that he can’t bring them all to Indianapolis.   

Some people just want them for some reason.  I had no problem selling my Royal Airs reunion corps uniform.  And they offered more than I paid for it. I don’t have any of that stuff anymore. I decided to travel light when I made the big move in 2021. Got rid of corps jackets, dozens of yearbooks… so much stuff.  Less stuff for someone to get rid of after I kick it.

Anyway, people want this stuff for some reason unbeknownst to me. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 1:28 PM, Jeff Ream said:

the amount of growth from Allentown to quarters was nothing short of amazing. you could tell at East they had a vibe, just a magic growing...just wow. by finals night that crowd was ready for them, and the corps gave them everything they had and more.

and the Conquest hits....it was pure Rondo "this place is electric"

It's just a reminder that design is almost everything. The design of that show was incredible and took them to great heights. The same thing happened to us in 1988. When the design is good and the judges and fans start responding well it can lead to amazing things. 

• Like 1